Wild Brew. What Do We Have Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRGriffith

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So recently I decided to try my hand at Lambic brewing with some of the local critters near where I live. I'm pretty new to this concept, so if any of my terminology or procedures need work, please correct me. Basically, what I did was make up some low gravity wort and set it out for about 4 hours near this beautiful pine tree next to the lake in the back yard. It was about 45F and breezy the day of the harvest. It always smells nice there, so I figured that would be a good place to try and collect.

My question is: What does this look like? I'm kinda thinking it's beginning to look like a pellicle, so maybe there's some Brett in there? If that's the case, about how long should I let it sit? It's currently in a white bucket with the lid sitting on top so I can check it periodically. It's been this way for a week now. It's not easy to see from the picture, but there are very fine white, strand-like shapes underneath the top layer. There's a very funky, spicy aroma coming from it, so it's not moldy (awesome). I would also love to harvest this slurry for the future.

The recipe was as follows:

1 Gallon Water
1/2 Pound Wheat DME
1/4 Ounce Styrian Golding (10 Min)
OG: 1.021
IBU: ~12.3

Here's a picture of the area and the substance in question.
Cheers!

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

there is no way to tell what that is. Even with a microscope youd need to consult an expert. At this point I would put it in something you can seal up with an airlock, and take a taste after a bit. You should be able to tell if theres a mix of brett or bugs or if its a clean sacch

I would step it up to normal starter gravity since the wild yeast has already taken hold. Good luck, hope its tasty

Update: I didn't have a small secondary, so what I did was transfer to a 5 gallon Better Bottle with 1/2 lb invert sugar / yeast nutrient. Hoping that a restart of fermentation will force all the oxygen out from the headspace. I'll be updating this thread with pictures of the new activity. My plan is still to propagate and harvest whatever mix of yeasts I have captured.

Back