Ferment in BB and then use it as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
This is just idle curiosity, but if I were to use my BB as a primary, would I need to use a different container as a secondary? or would just leaving it in there longer to condition work well?

There are people on both sides of the fence, some use secondarys some simply use a primary. I would recomend getting another bottle. Even if you decide to forego the secondary, it never hurts to have two (or ten) fermentors.

well i have the BB as a secondary if necessary. Only on my first(and only) batch, I didn't end up using it. I left the beer in primary for 3 weeks and am now bottling it. I just wondered about the use of BB as a primary. the next Beer i'm making is Midwest's Oldcastle(new castle clone)

I have a Dos Equis Amber Lager clone in a better bottle as primary right now.

They make fine primary fermenters.

Cpt Kirks, do you have a second BB to use as a secondary or do you just let it ferment and condition in the same container?

It's just fine in there until you bottle. Like mentioned before, you will find people on both sides of the fence, but I am of the opinion that a secondary is uneccesary. I just let mine stay in the primary for about 3 weeks and bottle from there.

I use secondary most of the time, it is not needed.
When I make mead, ciders, Imperials, I leave them in the primary for up to two months. Moving to secondary just helps them age and clear, or most likely I need my larger primary for my next batch to minimize blow off.
The only issue is racking it cleanly to bottle, I keg so I just crash chill it down to 36F for a week and rack it off if I don't use a secondary.

Cpt Kirks, do you have a second BB to use as a secondary or do you just let it ferment and condition in the same container?

I have a second 6 gallon BB, and may be picking up a couple of used 5 gallon BB's this weekend.

I use an ale pail to primary ales.

I use the BB for lagers. I copied Yooper's "foam cork" for my cube cooler. It fits a BB and keeps it the perfect temp for lagers.

Back