Cheap Temperature controller for freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayotruck

Reaction score
I am looking for a Cheap Temperature controller for freezer. I don't need dual stage as all i will need is cooling, as my freezer is inside.

I just want a cheep controller that can go pretty low temperatures. (30 f roughly)

I don't really want to do wiring or soldering as I don't have the tools for this, unless very, minimal.

Any ideas?

Are you looking for cheap or inexpensive?

I purchased an analog Johnson Controller at my LHBS for $63. If you are looking for something that will go to 30 degrees you might try setting the freezer to the warmest setting since you are actually looking for freezing temps.

If you are looking for something that will go to 30 degrees you might try setting the freezer to the warmest setting since you are actually looking for freezing temps.
EDIT: I just want the temp setting to go lower so I will have the option to ferment any beer. Some of these temperature controls only go to 45f i noticed and for some fermentation's that's not low enough.

cheap or inexpensive?

inexpensive, as i am new to brewing and I am already getting a bit deeper than what i wanted in the first place. I started this hobby to save money haha, I noticed that's not the case so far.

I found this
Ranco for 50$

I also found this analog version for 39(but ups shipped)

Any other complete units you guys know of possibly even cheaper ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you will be satisfied if you started this hobby to save money. I can attest that most started to make their own beer! Maybe in the end you will save money, but the hobby really does consume you and you will end up spending more than you ever thought you would! In any case I just bought that same temp controller. I know many use it with great success. Good luck!

I had one of those CHI controllers. It worked well, but the remote sensor bulb needs to be gently treated. Kegs and commercial 6 packs going in and out of my keezer caught the bulb/tubing a few times, and it kinked and broke off. If you can keep yours safe from such abuse it should do well for you. That part was not replaceable, and mine was reduced to junk.

If you don't mind building a housing of some kind, those aquarium controllers would be less expensive. I now have an Auber 2342. Its lead is replaceable.

Get a 120 v thermastat that is meant for Air conditioning... cut into the cord and extend ONE wire and merets and run the extra wire into the freezer that runs THREW the thermostat... It will call the cooler only every time it gets warmer then your set point... Wire 4$... Merrets .50 c, thermostat ??? 25$ ??? Maybe... Cheap, and fast... Only if there is a stat that can cool to 32f

This is how I brew lagers at specific temps..... And I do the reverse
With a 120 stat and a 60w light bulb in and plywood box... Controlls a perfect 71f when it's -20 out side and my basement at 50f

Get a 120 v thermastat that is meant for Air conditioning... cut into the cord and extend ONE wire and merets and run the extra wire into the freezer that runs THREW the thermostat... It will call the cooler only every time it gets warmer then your set point... Wire 4$... Merrets .50 c, thermostat ??? 25$ ??? Maybe... Cheap, and fast... Only if there is a stat that can cool to 32f

Do you happen to have a picture of this set up?

I bought that ranco from patriot supply on amazon. It was very easy to install and works like a charm on my keezer.

I bought that ranco from patriot supply on amazon. It was very easy to install and works like a charm on my keezer.

Same here. Been happy with it so far, and have done several lagers since purchasing it. I put the Setpoint at 48° with a 2° variance, and that sucker doesn't budge from 50°F while actively fermenting. I also attach the probe to the carboy with some tape. Not sure if that helps at all, but I can't complain so far.

EDIT: I just want the temp setting to go lower so I will have the option to ferment any beer. Some of these temperature controls only go to 45f i noticed and for some fermentation's that's not low enough.

inexpensive, as i am new to brewing and I am already getting a bit deeper than what i wanted in the first place. I started this hobby to save money haha, I noticed that's not the case so far.

I found this
Ranco for 50$

I also found this analog version for 39(but ups shipped)

Any other complete units you guys know of possibly even cheaper ?

Just so you know, that ranco is not wired. You'll have to add the power cables for the wall and the freezer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back