Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 6 liters of my first batch is in my Tap-A-Draft in the fridge, all nicely carbonated and about 4 months old now and just GOOOOOD as can be.

Dear sweet Jebus. I put my first batch together a week ago, and it's still bubbling every second (and stinking!)

I made a batch back in January and recently bottled it. It's been in the bottle for less than 2 weeks but has already got some nice bubblin’ going on already. I got another batch that I made in January(same recipe using Mott's) and I'm going to bottle it in June to see how the flavor changes. I can tell this stuff is going to go quick so I'll be making about 10 more gallons soon because it takes some time for it to age.

Down with the bottles! Can't get rid of the awful bottle dreams but waking to the keg is dreamy. I'm getting no hangovers like the other BMC swills and have drank almost 15 gallons. Speaking of that I need to update the totals page but probably not tonight. Keg my friends...keg:mug:

for one batch i did as mentioned above and in the 6 gal. carboy i only had half of the corn sugar on hand and used cane sugar and still pitched a pack of the moncharet just to be sure-but lazy...hahaha That one is after the current keg and after the next keg too but should be ready in 2 weeks but won't get kegged till needed. I've done three exactly to Edworts design and am enamored with the results vs labor ratio.

OK - I made it to page 57 over a period of three days. on day two I had read enough and went and picked up another carboy and brewed... er ...assembled a batch. I followed the recipe as close as I could with the access to ingredients I have in Canada. I used a wine yeast 1118 which is one of only two that my LHBS carries. and I could not find tree top juice here. I ended up using a PC brand fancy grade 100% apple juice. Ingredients are: Apple Juice, Water, Absorbic Acid, and Natural Apple Esters. The last one scares me because I don't know what that is and no one mentions it in the first 57 pages. I'm sorry I couldn't get further but I think this thread holds the record for longest thread on the entire internet .... ever.

Has anyone had experience with Natural Apple Esters?
What do my fellow Canadians use for Apple Juice?

Apple esters are probably there just to increase the aroma and taste of "apples".

I doubt they will cause any problem. If anything they will evaporate during the fermentation.

I just started drinking my 1st batch of this that was started mid December. I am going to probably have this in a carboy all the time. I started another batch on top the the old yeast and it started up just as quick at with the 1st batch. This new one has some brown sugar in it.

Cheers.

Just back-sweetened a 3-quart bottle of apfelwein. SWMBO says it was too "tart" for her taste. I used 2 tablespoons of Splenda. If that isn't enough, we can always add more.

glenn514:mug:

I started a batch Thursday afternoon. I used 6 gallons of Motts 100% apple juice, 2lbs of corn sugar and 1.5 packets of Pasteur Champagne yeast. As of today I have no bubbling. Is this normal or do I have stuck fermentation?

OK - I made it to page 57 over a period of three days. on day two I had read enough and went and picked up another carboy and brewed... er ...assembled a batch. I followed the recipe as close as I could with the access to ingredients I have in Canada. I used a wine yeast 1118 which is one of only two that my LHBS carries. and I could not find tree top juice here. I ended up using a PC brand fancy grade 100% apple juice. Ingredients are: Apple Juice, Water, Absorbic Acid, and Natural Apple Esters. The last one scares me because I don't know what that is and no one mentions it in the first 57 pages. I'm sorry I couldn't get further but I think this thread holds the record for longest thread on the entire internet .... ever.

Has anyone had experience with Natural Apple Esters?
What do my fellow Canadians use for Apple Juice?

I am not sure what Esters are, but what I used in my last batch of Apfelwien was Sunrype Pure Apple Juice, dextrose and two packs of WC-1118 all available at the local Superstore. After 4 months in the carboy, I just cracked the first bottle last night and after only 1 week of conditioning its delicious.

...mines about 2 months in. I will probably bottle in a week or so. My possible idea for sweetening up if needed.... scoop out a spoonful or 2 of frozen concentrate into my glass & pour in my Apfelwein. should make it sweet & apple-y :)
I've read damn near all the posts & don't recall hearing that one.

I started a batch Thursday afternoon. I used 6 gallons of Motts 100% apple juice, 2lbs of corn sugar and 1.5 packets of Pasteur Champagne yeast. As of today I have no bubbling. Is this normal or do I have stuck fermentation?
It took mine about 48 hours to really kick off. How's it doing now?

My apfelwein is 1 year old now. 6 months ago it was just sort of so-so, so I put what I had left in the back of the closet at that time. Popped a bottle this afternoon and it is pretty darn good now! Sadly, I am down to my last 12 pack :(

I am not sure what Esters are, but what I used in my last batch of Apfelwien was Sunrype Pure Apple Juice, dextrose and two packs of WC-1118 all available at the local Superstore. After 4 months in the carboy, I just cracked the first bottle last night and after only 1 week of conditioning its delicious.
Why two packs of yeast?

Just kegged my third batch, it's been in a carboy since November 26. Really good! The last two were kind of meh, but I think leaving it in the carboy for a long time really helps. Problem now is I can't easily let some age while drinking the rest, since it's either all in the fridge or all out.

Oh, and I used 2lbs of table sugar instead of dextrose, since I didn't have any. The final gravity came out at 1.004, which is fine by me because it's a little sweet.

Assembled my first batch of Apfelwein yesterday in a 1 gallon container. This is the FIRST thing I have ever fermented in my life (beer to come shortly when I get everything figured out). So far so good - no krausen - lots of bubbles.

I followed the same recipe with my favorite juice; Pineapple Juice as well. I didn't compensate for the extra sugar in the juice for the OG; but I would rather it come finish a little (rather a lot) sweeter. Needed a blow-off valve - good thing I put the gallon in a casserole dish before I went to bed or else I would have woken up to the wrath of SWMBO. Now that the fluid level has dropped a little from the blow-off and I have cleaned out the 3-piece air-lock it is trucking along nicely.

Thanks to everyone on the site! I have perused for a few weeks and I feel confident enough to make an AG batch with all of the knowledge and step-by-step photo instructions. I'll post back with the results!

Last week i started 5 gal of apfelwein. This being my first experience "brewing" anything i don't know what to put it in when it's done. I remember reading something about putting it in mason jars. As long as i don't carb them would this be an acceptable to store it? and if so how long can it be stored this way? The other thing is the apfelwein is in a 5 gal glass carboy and i currently have no way to get it into the jars or whatever i use. So the other question i have is what is the easiest/cheapest way to bottle and what will i need to buy. I'm sure that for me this is a start to a new hobby that i can enjoy for the rest of my life.

I remember reading something about putting it in mason jars. As long as i don't carb them would this be an acceptable to store it? and if so how long can it be stored this way? So the other question i have is what is the easiest/cheapest way to bottle and what will i need to buy. I'm sure that for me this is a start to a new hobby that i can enjoy for the rest of my life.

I suppose all you would need is a bottling wand, an auto siphon and some vinyl hose. Although a bottling bucket would probably be a lot easier to use. So use the auto-siphon to transfer to the bottling bucket, then use gravity and the bottling wand to put it in bottles.

I don't know about the mason jars. I've never done it, but why not just get a capper and some caps? Save some beer bottles between now and when the apfelwein is done, and use those. Then you can even try and put some priming sugar in some for a bit of carbonation if you want.

Welcome to the addiction.

I suppose all you would need is a bottling wand, an auto siphon and some vinyl hose. Although a bottling bucket would probably be a lot easier to use. So use the auto-siphon to transfer to the bottling bucket, then use gravity and the bottling wand to put it in bottles.

I don't know about the mason jars. I've never done it, but why not just get a capper and some caps? Save some beer bottles between now and when the apfelwein is done, and use those. Then you can even try and put some priming sugar in some for a bit of carbonation if you want.

Welcome to the addiction.

Let's just say, despite popular myth, mason jar lids + alcohol = not good for long term. Of course apfelwein may not rot out a lid as quick as the alcohol people typically store in jars.

If you just happen to have the mason jars around then sure but, to buy them you're much cheaper off just to get some lids and a capper and save bottles, mason jars are pricey!

Made my first batch on 4/5 and I am heading home to see how it is. What's the rule again? 3 glasses and then...?? :D

Started my Apfelwein on Saturday.... the bubbles are getting fewer and farther between. I think I am going to try to add some fresh strawberries. My plan was to boil about 4 quarts and then add them after they cool... Any suggestions? Has anyone else tried fresh strawberries?

I am going to switch from the Montrachet to Nottingham for my next batch. Is it safe to do it in the carboy (I have a 5 & 6 gallon) or should I switch to a bucket? I know there is no Kreuzen with the montrachet but is that also the case for Nottingham?

I usually let it go for 60 days before transferring but I am thinking the Notty will ferment faster. Is that correct?

I am going to switch from the Montrachet to Nottingham for my next batch. Is it safe to do it in the carboy (I have a 5 & 6 gallon) or should I switch to a bucket? I know there is no Kreuzen with the montrachet but is that also the case for Nottingham?

I usually let it go for 60 days before transferring but I am thinking the Notty will ferment faster. Is that correct?

I used Nottingham and there was no krausen. Finished fermenting in about 2 weeks @68F but when it warmed up to ~74F it started off anew for another week or so.

So, yesterday I kegged my first batch of apfelwein. Now this batch was made with 2# of light brown sugar since I had foolishly expected to be able to find the corn sugar at a local market. Anyways, it fermented down to .998 and it is REALLY tart. Now, granted this is after 5 weeks in the fermenter so I fully expect it to improve over the coming weeks. However, I have already mixed it with some Sprite (as also suggested in this thread) and the added sweetness plus the carbonation really make for an outstanding drink! :mug:

I also made another batch, traditional this time, so that I can ensure that I'll always have some on hand! :ban:

Just bottled my first batch yesterday. Drinking some now and I have to say, I can see how this is going to be a hit this summer at pool parties. Can't wait to start another batch this weekend.

Having lived in Ebblewoi (Apfelwein) country for years I was thrilled to find this thread. I now have 2 6.5g carboys going. One with Ed's original recipe and one substituting ec-1118 for the Montrachet yeast. I am anxious to do a side-by-side comparison.
I have a new question for you:
I have the opportunity to get a quantity of fresh-pressed flash pasteurized apple juice. I can even stipulate the types of apples! My concern is that it is only flash pasteurized and must be stored cold. Can I still use this for apfelwein? My assumption is that it will ferment out just fine, but I do not want to have to cold store the finished product if at all possible.
Any thoughts?

Tried to search but could not find a answer.

I just checked my Apfelwein (followed the directions to a T) and got a FG of 1.006. My problem is that it is carbonated. Is their anyway to get rid of the carbonation, dont want bottle bombs ? :confused:

Thanks

Having lived in Ebblewoi (Apfelwein) country for years I was thrilled to find this thread. I now have 2 6.5g carboys going. One with Ed's original recipe and one substituting ec-1118 for the Montrachet yeast. I am anxious to do a side-by-side comparison.
I have a new question for you:
I have the opportunity to get a quantity of fresh-pressed flash pasteurized apple juice. I can even stipulate the types of apples! My concern is that it is only flash pasteurized and must be stored cold. Can I still use this for apfelwein? My assumption is that it will ferment out just fine, but I do not want to have to cold store the finished product if at all possible.
Any thoughts?

Treat it like wine -- there's no serious pasteurization of grape juice, as far as I know. The fermentation and alcohol will help it keep for a long time. If you're really worried, use campden tablets to chemically pasteurize the must a couple days before pitching the yeast (I'm not experienced with this, though, check the rest of the wine making forum).

Tried to search but could not find a answer.

I just checked my Apfelwein (followed the directions to a T) and got a FG of 1.006. My problem is that it is carbonated. Is their anyway to get rid of the carbonation, dont want bottle bombs ? :confused:

Thanks

That's just dissolved carbon dioxide. The cooler you ferment, the more will stay in solution. Stir it really well before bottling, preferably with something with lots of arms, like a whisk or a bottling brush, to knock the gas out.

You shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs anyway, it shouldn't be seriously carbonated and it shouldn't produce any more carbon dioxide. With wine bottles you might need to worry about the corks popping out (happened to me just a couple weeks ago with one of my last two bottles from a batch I bottled in January of 2009).

Made my first batch Saturday, 8 May with Nottingham Ale Yeast. It was bubbling away Sunday morning and still going strong today, 12 May. There is about a Inch Krausen on top with a steady plop, plop from the blowoff tube.

I have 5 gallons of Ed’s Apfelwein which has been fermenting about 4 weeks now. When I do decide to bottle, do most people carbonate their Apfelwein or leave it still? I understand it is a personal choice, but traditionally how is it served?

Thanks!

BCC:
I lived a decade in Frankfurt and environs, so here is the scoop on how it is traditionally done>
Carbonation: Ebblewoi is only lightly carbonated and I believe that it is because they do not degas it before bottling. At first pour you get a light and quickly dissipated head. Thereafter only a slow stream of bubbles up the side of the glass. If a Frankfurter wants it carbonated they will order a bottle of seltzer and mix it to their preference. That is very common and is known as a 'gespritzter'. Purists are offended when one adds a sweet soda like Fanta to it, but many people still drink it that way.

Alcohol: In Frankfurt they add no sugar to the juice and it naturally ferments out to about 6%. They view apfelwein as a lighter and more refreshing drink than bier that they can drink for a longer period w/o getting f*!&#d up. The addition of sugar to drive higher abv's in Ed's original recipe is, I believe, an accommodation to the American desire to get more bang from the bottle. I laugh at all the people complaining about hangovers as it is a self-inflicted wound.

Additions: The very best apfelweins have about 1-3% Speierling (Speyerling) juice added. Although the Germans call it an apple, in reality the Speierling is a very rare form of mountain ash, sorbus domesticus. Its fruits are apple-shaped and must be stored until they become overripe. The juice adds an additional astringency to the apfelwein. I have never seen any other additions (such as cranberry, peach, etc.) made to any commercial apfelweins. I think that the Germans would consider it sacreligious. I myself am having a difficult time finding Speierling in the US and so I am considering substituting quince or persimmon in some experimental batches.

Food pairings:
Apfelwein is incredibly food friendly. It works with everything, much like champagne does. Real BBQ, asian food, anything pork, fish .. all of it pairs well.

I hope that this gives you a little insight as to traditional Ebblewoi.
Zum Wohl!
bp

hey eveyone i just stumbled across this and ive been reading through alot of it but there are 600 + pages.

my 2 questions are now what temp to ferment at, is there a temp that is too high? it says room temp so i was planning on having them in my garage and not worry about it and not use my fermenting refigeratrors so i can make more beer :)

and 2 when bottling how much priming sugar are you all using for a 5 gallon batch?

thanks

Back