Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project_dc1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm fermenting my third batch right now in the basement. It's an IPA of course, top fermenting ale yeast.

My first two batches were done in the summer and fall, and I had a nice stable temperature in the mid to high 60s in my basement.

Well, now it's winter, and the temperature is more like a steady 57-60 degrees F. Is this going to be a problem for my fermentation?

Thanks.

:mug: The instructions on the yeast package are highly one of the best ways to improve your beer. I think fermenting in the lower of the range they set is one of the most important things to keep control of.:mug:

I've never used that yeast, so I'm not sure. There should be a temperature range that it performs best in, and maybe that is on the package. My first thought is that since it says it "produces esters, peppery, good for Belgian style ales" is that you are probably a little too cool for that yeast. Nottingham dry yeast is good for 57-75 degrees, for example, and that might be a better choice for you in the winter.

Hopefully someone else has used that yeast and can give you better advice!

I'm just getting started with a kit that I received for Christmas and logged on here because of the same problem. I'm wondering if buying a thermostat to override the normal temperature range of a small fridge is worth it. They run around $80-$130 or so from what I've seen, but the temp could be set at a consistent degree. The other option I've found is to buy dry lager yeast which will work at a lower temp. Suggestions from the experienced crowd for this problem?

you want temperatures in the upper 60s for those flavors. nottingham might work if you don't care about the ester flavors, but it will still take longer and you may have some trouble.

i would look for another place upstairs to store this brew and look into some lagers or hybrids (california common/kolsch) for your winter brews (to drink in the spring/summer, of course :))

Well, there are lots of things to try that might be cheap and work for you. I've used a cooler full of ice water to keep the beer cool in the summer, and I've seen some setups with aquarium heaters to help keep it warmer in the winter. You can also buy a "brew belt" to keep it warmer. The problem with the fridge controller is you also might have to have it set up to heat in the winter. Someone around here did that with a lightbulb in the refrigerator to provide some warmth, but I can't remember right now who that was.

Truly, consistent temperature control is one of the best things you can do to make better beer. It does help to use a cold tolerant yeast, but unless you are making a lager, you probably don't want to use a lager yeast. Check out steam beers- that might be the ticket for cold weather. Also, some yeasts do well at cooler temperatures, as I noted earlier. Unless your house is super cold, you should be able to find a place that would be comfortable for you yeast. I have some ales fermenting right now in the 62 degree range here in my computer room.

Hm... Maybe I'll move the bucket upstairs for the last few days of primary. I just hope the temp didn't gimp the batch. I swear every time I try to get this damn IPA nailed something goes wrong.

Back