Starter Volume help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
After hearing about the Mr. Malty piching rate calculator I decided to have a look and put the specs for my upcoming DIPA in to it. The OG is 1.079. The calculator estimated I need 4.65 liter starter volume! To me (not what I'm terribly experienced) this seems a bit excessive. Maybe I'm wrong. This would mean boiling up a 4.65L wort (450g of DME). Also finiding a vessel for that could be a problem. Your thoughts?

Graeme

It's a guide to show ideal cell count required, but that 4.65L is if you make a starter and then walk away for a few days. If you change it to intermittent shaking, meaning you shake it up when you walk by it cuts it down to 2.65L. And then if you have, buy, or make a stir plate, it you would only need 1.75L starter.

Thanks Beezer. I'm not going to get or bother building a stir plate just yet, maybe in the long run. I suppose the intermittent shaking is a feesable option given that I'll be close to home. I presume with the shaking it would take a good 24 hours for it to settle out before pitching

What about a two step starter? Like a 1 Liter, then after 2 or 3 days decant and add more cooled wort? Would this be helpful? Never done it, just thinking aloud

That did cross my mind actually Brettwasbtd. I could maybe do a 2L then decant to a second 2L volume. Though that would be a good week of it!

Latest posts

Back