Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally had some Spectre today. it was a bit more mellow than I expected, but a very decent smoke. so far my favorites that I ordered are the Frenchy's Sunzabitches, Tsuge's Gunjin, and Tsuge's Ryugin. in that order.

Had a bunch of that sunset breeze throughout the weekend while making beer and after hunting. Starting to think it isn't great but it's a nice tool to try to learn how to get a good burn going. Doing a lot better, pipe still gurgles a lot despite being cleaned constantly. Much more enjoyable though.

Had a bunch of that sunset breeze throughout the weekend while making beer and after hunting. Starting to think it isn't great but it's a nice tool to try to learn how to get a good burn going. Doing a lot better, pipe still gurgles a lot despite being cleaned constantly. Much more enjoyable though.

Some pipes gurgle no matter what. Just keep noting the moisture and keep trying to refine the pack to where you can slow down the sips.

Bought from the Charlie Sheen estate.

I'm interested in one of those pipe kits, but doubt I'd find the time to carve it, and wind up smoking out of a block of wood.

143b0054d0ff6ddb8e109858998008f5.jpg

Think I might get the frog morton sampler pack.

I looked that up a little while ago. I'd (and I might soon) go for it. I'm a fan of Tsuge's Gods Sampler. my favorite out of the 4 is Gunjin: The Samurai God. the Oriental really adds a nice touch to the Virginias and the Black Cavendish helps round it all out. very smooth and mellow. it can be an all day tobacco. the other three are great as well. I've really been enjoying Ryujin: The Dragon God as well. it was smoother than I was expecting, but full of the Latakia flavor. Raijin: The Thunder God packs a bit of a punch. it threw me off the first bowl, but really enjoyed the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. strong aroma and flavor. well suited, in my opinion, for a strong Barley Wine or Imperial stout after a hearty meal. like a smokey dessert. Fujin: The Wind God is another Latakia pawnch. the Virginia and Orientals round it out nicely. also another great after a hearty meal smoke. I kinda want to get their Seasons Sampler now. I might wait and get the Frog Morton pack first.

I love the pipe now. Any cravings I had left for cigarettes are now gone, had one the other night and it tasted disgusting. I'm considering buying myself one I'd like for xmas.

There's a couple of the longer, straight ones that I like.. just wasn't sure if the sandblasted style was cheap or if it even made a difference. Thank you.

Rustication on the pipes doesn't mean they're cheap. Often times, it's required when making a pipe and a flaw in the briar is discovered when finishing (a grain of sand, etc.). In order not to have to junk a smooth pipe, rustication is applied. Some people like the look, others don't. Comes down to personal preference.

I don't know what those are, but I'll take two.

I'll leave that one go.

Spent some more time sanding last night. It's pretty much at the point that I could call it good enough and move on, but there are a few areas where it's not quite symmetrical or the transition from the shank to the stem is not quite where I would like it to be. The grain actually turned out to be quite nice on this one. I am somewhat pleasantly surprised.

Back