Sanitizing an aluminum brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faber

Reaction score
I've been using C-Brite to sanitize, which I'm pretty pleased with. But I've read that abrasive cleaning/cleaners should be avoided with aluminum, e.g. scouring pads. But bleach is chemically abrasive, and C-Brite does have some chlorine in it.

Is C-Brite safe to use on an aluminum brewpot?

I've also read not to bother sanitizing brewpots and lids: the boiling water/wort will take care of that. I'm new to homebrewing and am paranoid still, so I'm sanitizing *everything*.

Thoughts?

Apologies if this has been covered before; I tried searching.

TIA for your responses and help.

Cheers, all

I don't know if it's safe for sure, but I think you're ok.

As far as what needs to be sanitized, it's everything that touches your wort AFTER the boil. The pot doesn't need it, but should be clean.

faber said:
I've also read not to bother sanitizing brewpots and lids: the boiling water/wort will take care of that.

Thats the gist of it. Dont worry about sanitizing anything that goes in the boil (including your pot). Worry the most about anything that comes in contact with the wort between flame out and pitching the yeast (ie. top-off water, siphon tubes if you siphon into the fermenter, spoon if you stir to mix the wort evenly, etc.). The beer is pretty safe from infection once fermentation has started, so it sanitation is still an issue, but not as crucial durring racking to secondary, and bottling.

- magno

Every time you chemically clean your aluminum brew kettle, you're taking away from the oxidized layer that prevents metallic flavors in your beer. Stop sanitizing your kettle and just clean it with hot water and VERY mild detergent (no abrasive pads, either!).

I just clean my aluminium pot with a nylon dish scrubber and water. No soap. I clean it right after it gets emptied and before anything can dry on.

Latest posts

Back