New to Kegging/Bubbles in beer line problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rethin

Reaction score
I got sick of bottling and decided to upgrade to a kegging system. I get a couple of corny kegs, regulator, 5lb CO2 bottle and set it up. So far so good.

I got some homebrew sitting in a couple of kegs but it won't be ready to drink for several more weeks. So time to hit the distributor and get a keg of commercial beer to hold me over.

This is where the problems begin. I thought you just have to hook the gas up to one connector and a dispenser to the other but it didn't work out that way.

I keep dispensing glasses of foam and the second I stop dispensing the beer line fills up with bubbles. After 10 minutes or so the beer line is half air and half beer.

I originally had 5 feet of 3/16 beer line. Tried 10 feet and that helped a little. Then I tried 20 feet of 3/16 beer line and while better I'm still getting a lot of foam, flat beer and gas in the beer line.

I've tried changing the regulator pressure 5psi up to 15psi and as far as I can tell its made very little difference.

I'm keeping the keg at around 65F. That's cellar temperature for me and what I normally drink my ales at.

I'm stumped. I don't know what else to do to reduce this foaming problem. I'd like to get it sorted out so I can dispense my homebrew correctly.

Can anyone help?

Okay, small update. I partially fixed the problem. It seems I had an air leak in my beer line. I reseated the beer line and added a couple of hose clamps.

Now the bubbles in the beer line are much less. But I'm still getting foam instead of beer.

65 is pretty warm and it'll take a while for the co2 to be absorbed into the beer. The colder the better. How long has the beer been hooked up? Did you force carb or set and forget? What psi are you at?

Back