What is a Fining Agent?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
I read on a website that adding a a fining agent such as gelatin once I keg my brew will help clear the beer as if I ran it through a filter. What is a fining agent? Is gelatin the only one? How much do I add? Does it change the flavor of the beer? Ahhh I was going to keg my cream ale today but I wanna wait and see what you guys say!

above all: is this necessary?

Thanks everyone!

There are different finings, like Isinglass (sp?), which IIRC is made out of sturgeon bladders or something weird like that. They're never *necessary*, and there are plenty of other ways to get a clear pint. Irish moss or Whirlfloc at the end of the boil, getting a good cold break, and cold conditioning the beer before racking will all do wonders to clarify your beer.

Fining agents are for post-fermentation clearing. I have a filter rig, so I don't use them. In seven years, I've filtered three kegs.

Fortunately, the filter rig can be used as a randal.

Depends on the recipe. Most that call for a fining agent like irish moss will mention an amount in the recipe.

For whirfloc, polyclar, etc... the package will recommend a certain amount for a specific batch size.

For gelatin I'd recommend this. I used gelatin in a recent brew and it does an amazing job of clearing up a beer.

I always add gelatin to my secondary. I find that its clearing ability can't be beat. I've never tried isinglass though. Gelatin and a good cold break with conditioning are the best things for clearing.

awesome guys, thanks a lot. I just added some gelatin and I'll just hope to G*d that it doesn't mess with my yestie friends and the work I want them to do in the bottle :)

Back