Strange bubbles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welcherHB

Reaction score
I have NEVER seen this happen before.
I made a dry stout on 2/6/11. It was a extract kit from AHS. Everything went well. SG and OG were on target. (1.055 - 1.015)
I transferred to secondary on 2/16/11 planning on bottling last weekend. I had to put it off until this weekend tho, so it was in secondary a bit longer than I had planned.
Both fermentation and secondary temps were 68F.
Yesterday I went to get it to transfer to my bottling bucket when I saw a lot of BIG greyish bubbles sitting on top of the wort. I thought maybe an infection of some sort, but I used starsan through the whole process like I always do.
I popped off the airlock and took a whiff and it seems to smell fine. No off odors or anything.
Do you think it'll still be ok to bottle? I'm game, but if you think it's gonna be a waste of time then I'll (grudgingly) dump it.
I took a picture of it, but I don't think I can post it as I'm not a premium member (yet).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Without a pic it will be hard to try to identify. How does it taste? I haven't seen anything like what your describing. If it tastes funny it's a pretty good indication it's been contaminated but it usually goes along with a smell.

With out pics its very hard. Go look at the pelicle photo collection in the lambic forum and see if it looks familiar. Sounds like Lacto or Brett to me but its hard to say without seeing it.

Dont dump it. Its probably yeast or sediment from the transfer that has yet to settle out. If it smells ok and tastes ok, then it is fine.

Don't dump it, but that looks like a lot of the posts from the pellicle thread towards the beginning of secondary fermentation with bugs. The big bubbles are not normal yeast ferm that I am familiar with. I would leave it and see what develops. If it is infected, let it ride and read up on the lambic brewing thread!!!

BTW, even if you are not a premium supporter (though TxBrew has extended a generous offer for cross promoting CityProfile) you can use the image links from photobucket and the pics will show in the thread w/o the link.

Back