Removing proteins before fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cylered16

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has performed a 24+ hour rest (at colder temperatures to cause protein crashing) of their wort.

Prior to pitching yeast, the wort is siphoned and aerated in another clean, sanitized fermenter leaving the proteins in the other fermenter behind.

How risky is this to do?
I'm just worried about contamination.

I'd be concerned about removing head-forming proteins and other stuff the yeast might want to chow on.

I actually just did this over the weekend to a German Pilsner and a Munich Dunkel. Chilled through a CFC to 70F and oxygenated inline, transferred to a 6.5 gallon carboy to the neck. Cover with foil and let it chill to 50F along with the decanted yeast starter for 18 hours to equalize temps and settle the cold break. After the 18 hours, rack into another carboy off the cold break and pitch a lot of yeast. Full fermentation was happening 22 hours later. We'll find out how it tastes in a couple months.

IMG_1624.jpg

The Munich Dunkel still seems to have some cold break or something. Unless the yeast is favoring one side, I can't see the back of the carboy. Maybe waiting a full 24 hours next time for the cold break to settle would help. I'm doing a double batch of Kolsch in 2 weeks so I'll try it then.

Back