Recycling Yeast... Oops I forgot to sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremblay

Reaction score
Yo ! So I recycled my yeast last night off a Hefe, the canisters I used for the washings were clean but not sanitized (thats the damn problem with this hobby.. make beer, drink it, forget stuff... ) Is it a big deal? If I make a starter with it will there be a way to know if its infected in the 24 hours? Should I just throw it out the window with a facial expression that says " Yeah Im pissed !! ", make yogurt with it? give it to my neighbors dog?

I'd probably toss it. If you were going to use it this week or something I would say use it and take your chances since the yeast will likely outgrow any baddies, however the loss of viability that comes with storage will give bacteria a chance to catch up with the yeast when you go to make a starter.

Ditto. I would agree completely with Snicks on this one. The difference in costs between making a starter for washed yeast and buying a new vial/pouch of yeast is minimal anyway, so no sense in possibly ruining something.

Back