The day I messed up but my beer didn't care.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPP33

Reaction score
This thread is really just meant to put people’s minds at ease. I don’t want to imply that sanitation is unimportant or that temp control doesn’t matter but let’s face it, beer is some pretty resilient stuff and often times the best things in life are found where you aren’t looking.

I see so many threads in the beginner forum where people are concerned that their beer is ruined (probably provoked by the infection thread) and they haven’t even tried it yet. The standard response is “wait it out see what you get”.

So what have you done wrong that you thought could ruin your beer but it ended up just fine?

I’ll go first:

1) Used a thermometer that was reading off by about 10 degrees. Mashed two batches at about 165 before figuring it out.
2) Fermented a Hefe at about 85 degrees, with time the off flavors mellowed out.
3) Got way better efficiency than planned and ended up with a 1.072 beer. I only had one liquid yeast pack and no starter. Tossed it in and reached target FG in just a couple days.
4) Knocked the blow off tube cap off my fermenter while covering it up, didn’t notice it for a couple days.
5) Cold Crashed a 10 gallon batch of Pale Ale and sucked about ¼ gallon of two week old starsan from my blow off bottle into each carboy.
6) Forgot to purge my carboy and proceeded to force carb it by shaking it, no doubt lots of oxygen was introduced.
7) Before I figured out how to siphon directly in to the beer out ball lock on my keg the damn hose curled up in the keg and stuck up above the beer level making an oxygen grabbing beer fountain.
8) Oaked an IPA with oak chips in a hop bag. The bag sank so I stuck some long tongs in to try and grab it, forgot to sanitize said tongs and they went all the way in including the pivot/spring deal.
9) Guy filling in at the home brew store screwed up my grain order and mixed in twice the base grain than I had intended so my specialties were essentially diluted. It was a Rye IPA and after some tweaking over several batches my favorite recipe is actually closer to the “screwed up” version than the intended version.
10) I made a late hop (massive amounts of late hop) IPA that almost got tossed (that would have been the mistake). After two weeks I shined the flashlight from my phone at the side of the carboy and it was puke green. I thought it was ruined, sampled and it was nasty, damn near tossed it then I remembered the threads on here telling people to wait it out, so I did. Transferred to secondary and let it sit for a couple more weeks. Turns out the green beer and nasty flavor was due to all the hop material floating around. After cold crashing it came back to the nice blood red color I was shooting for.
11) Ran out of sparge water so I had to heat up more, filled up the keg I use for warming the water but left the ball valve open so I essentially finished my sparge with cold water. I had already run about 5 gallons of hot water through though.
12) Brewing the winter I had my keggle outside side with the wort chiller running and sitting in a tub of water. I was shoveling snow into the tub and tossed a scoop a little too enthusiastically (had drank a lot of beer at that point :tank:) and it went right into the almost fully cooled wort.
13) First time I used my new wort chiller I didn’t check the hose clamps connecting the vinyl tube to the chiller and got a little extra wort from the leaking connection.

So what have you done that didn't lead to the end of the world, or at least that batch of beer?

A somewhat serious mistake I have ever made was on my first batch. I started the ferment a bit high. I caught the mistake first thing the second morning so fermentation had only gotten a little underway.

I dropped a yeast pack into the wort and stuck a finger in while fishing it out.

That is about the extent of my list.

I pay attention so I don't make mistakes. I have probably put things in the wort that were not properly sanitized, though.

Heated up my water to boiling, turned off the flame and added my extract. Went in the house to get the hops when I realized this kit had grains to steep. Used my chiller to reduce the temp, steeped the grains in the wort and the beer turned out just fine.

Forgot to sanitize bottles, but they were cleaned. No problems.

Had a boil-over and lost a lot of the hops floating on top. Added some more, and it came out ok.

Accidentally added too much hops at start of boil. Shortened the boil to compensate.

Now I use a printed checklist to help keep things straight.

I think it's true--beer is fairly forgiving in that unless you really screw something up, it'll be drinkable.

But if we want to make really good, or perhaps great, beer, can we be unconcerned about some of these things and still get there? I have my doubts.

I've been following a continuous quality improvement approach in that every time I brew I try to do things better than last time. Incremental improvements is what they are, and if every time I do things a little bit better, eventually I will get to a point where what I produce is pretty good.

When my wife--who isn't a big beer connoisseur--asks me if the SMASH I just kegged and she tasted is going into the keezer, that means she likes it. She wants it on tap, and available to her. When she finishes the first and then has a second bottle of Cream of Three Crops when there are other good options available, I must have done something right.

I've become convinced that this is an effective route for new brewers, as I'd still consider myself one. Learn how to control fermentation temperatures. Rehydrate yeast correctly. Control temps of the mash, and ensure the PH is right. Get the additions done on time. Correct the water so it will be good for the type of beer I'm brewing. Use RO water instead of my tap water. All of these and more are the kinds of improvements I've done, and I think it's showing up in the beer.

Make. The. Process. Better. Every. Time.

Yes, if I screw up, it won't be the end of the world, and the beer will probably be reasonable, but I want to produce beer that will knock people's socks off. And my own. :)

This happened during my first lager. A phone book I was using to tip my carboy for racking into my bottling bucket fell into the bucket when the carboy got down to about a gallon. Thought for sure it was ruined. Came out fine.

The phone book was ruined. The beer was fine. No gushers. I couldnt believe it. I got a lot of flack from my lady for the SPLASH mess! She got over it as soon as it was time to make cysers again. I use a plastic doorstop to tip the carboys now, and a lid on the bucket with a hole for the racking hose.

This happened during my first lager. A phone book I was using to tip my carboy for racking into my bottling bucket fell into the bucket when the carboy got down to about a gallon. Thought for sure it was ruined. Came out fine.

Wow, that might be the winner!

Wet Yellow Pages Lager? Big Splash Lager? Big Mess Lager?

my biggest goof. I was making a chocolate stout. Everything went fine, was brewing outside on a hot summer day. I was using a immersion chiller to cool my wort. My dog came out side and was sniffing around my propane burner (which was still hot). My focus went to my dog and not the beer, and by the time i got my dog away from the burner, i noticed the hose water from the chiller was going back into my pot. I am guessing i added about a half gallon of nasty hose water into my beer. To this day, my best beer. of course I had to name it Hose Water Stout.

Been sparging way to fast on all three all grain batches so consistently get low gravity. It will be fixed with next batch! New and improved every time!

Cool thread idea

- My very first batch I did on the stove I didn't have a large enough pot, so I essentially had two separate boils and just counted out hop pellets so that things would be close to even. Beer turned out great!
- I got a bit too excited on one of my early batches and added the priming sugar to the primary.
- For a while I only used starsan because I was too cheap to use PBW.
- Tube slipped off my immersion chiller and went into my chilled wort. Turned out to be one of my best stouts yet.

So, how did everybody in your calling area like your beer?

Brewed three or four weekends in a row stocking up for when our son would be born. He came early and I had five gallons sitting on yeast cake for an easy 6 weeks. I transferred it after six weeks for a dry hop addition. Bottled a week later. I'm drinking this beer as we speak. Autolysis be damned.

So, how did everybody in your calling area like your beer?

Most enjoyed it. It was a WLP810 fermented at 59 deg so it was something most of my friends never had before (the ones not familiar with homebrew). Pale malt, carapils and crystal 15. It was pretty clean with just a touch of fruity esters. I never let it warm up. That was the second lesson learned on this batch. My setup and technique has come a long way from those days, but one of my co workers who home brews from time to time says "I sure miss that phonebook beer".

Second or third 5 gallon batch we made a chocolate porter. Had an extra bag of amber malt and decided to put it in and see how high of an ABV we could get...

Blew the lid off the fermenter and had chocolate foam all inside the pantry cabinet, and a foamy river on the kitchen floor. Scraped off the foam, cleaned the air lock and let er go. One of the best beers I have ever had. Wish I still had the recipe.

Oh boy where to begin.

The first ever extract kit my friend and I tried. We thought the included 1step cleaner was a sanitizer. We didnt actually have a sanitizer. Still turned out great.

Had a hose pop off our wort chiller shooting unboiled water into our wort at full force. Beer turned out fine.

I for the hell of it decided to make a 2 year past the expiration date extract kit I found in the basement (did use new yeast) just to see what would happen... turned out fine.

Mouth siphoned out of my brew kettle because well im not sure why I did that actually. beer turned out fine.

pitched my yeast without sanitizing the yeast packet or scissors.. beer turned out fine.

Oh boy where to begin.

The first ever extract kit my friend and I tried. We thought the included 1step cleaner was a sanitizer. We didnt actually have a sanitizer. Still turned out great.

I did the same thing! After all, it is 1Step!

I'm quite sure the only reason the beer didn't blow up on me was that there was no residue from a prior brew on the brewing equipment. That beer didn't turn out all that well--not sure if it was due to how I cleaned things, or that I didn't eliminate the chlorine from the water, or that I boiled the extract too long, or...whatever.

When I think back to what I didn't know when I started, you could fill a book with that stuff. Wait...I guess they already have!

First beer I did was an extract recipe. We named it Thunder Ale. As we were cooling the wort a massive thunder storm moved through and rained in the beer pretty hard. It was a fantastic beer.

Latest posts

Back