controlling fermentation temps, how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkuttack

Reaction score
I recently built a son of fermentation chiller, it works great by the way.I live in the California desert area so it is very useful.
my problem is, my son of fermentation chiller only holds one better bottle carboy and i wanna start a new batch asap
my question is how long should i hold my fermentation temp steady for before raising it up to my 75 degrees closet temp?
i brew ales at 65 degrees
Jamil and the brewing network say the first 36-48 are most critical to hold steady temp. but is it safe to raise the temp to 75+ degrees after 3 days of 65 degrees fermentation?
anyone with similar experience please post.
thanks guys brew on!
:mug:

YOu need to be damn near done fermenting. THen you can go up. My Apt runs real hot, even in the winter and ferment around 69-71 most of the time.

If I were you, Id wait, since you have the ability, till its about 80% dont fermenting.

I was looking through the technical info on the Wyeast site the other day... They recommend keeping the wort in the temperature range until fermentation cycles are done... This might be a bit overboard in some cases, but it does make sense (to me at least)... This isn't for lagers, since lagers go to different temperatures. Seems like they set this time span until the brew either is clear, or has started clearing. If it was me, I'd wait until the yeast has fully flocculated...

Here's the link to the page I'm talking about...

thanks for the quick replys guys, its better safe then sorry, i guess if im that eager to brew, and paranoid about quality i should just just fork out and build a second or bigger son of fermentation chiller

Personally, I'd rather keep the brew within the temperature range for the duration, if at all possible.

I plan on making a chamber out of a chest freezer once I've moved, to a larger place. By then, I should have migrated over to using kegs for primaries, so I should be able to fit more of them into the same amount of floor space. :D

I sympathize with your impatience. I think you could keep it in the 65-68 range until the krausen begins to fall. Then take it out and let it finish up. It's not like it will instantly jump to 75 - it will probably take a day or two. That's a nice gradual increase.

Back