Honey For Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokysalsa

Reaction score
I was wondering first if, and how much, honey would change the taste of a American pal ale, if you would use it for priming, we have honey bees and we now have ALOT of honey. secondly, how much would you use to prime 5gallions?

A half of a cup should do it for priming, if you like it a bit fizzier you could do 3/4 cup. I highly doubt you will notice a difference in flavor from this small of an inclusion. If you add honey directly to the ale it will ferment almost completely out. You would notice a lihgtened body with as little as a pound, I have even gone as high as 3 pounds in a 5 gallon batch without thinning it out too much. The general though is that if you go over 30% of you fermentables as honey you are making braggot.

I was asking the same question in another thread except I want to use maple syrup in my Porter. I'm thinking about 3/4 cup (this is PURE maple syrup, not the Log Cabin Aunt Jemima crap).

Back