First Cider, When Can I Rack It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtjohnston

Reaction score
I have a cider that I started over a week ago and it's still fermenting. It's been fermenting REALLY slow. It's quite cloudy and is starting to get some sediment on the bottom... Can I rack it now, maybe add some yeast nutrient? Is so, how much nutrient should I add for a 1 gallon batch of cider? Thanks!

I'd say let it ferment out for a month before racking. That works for me and seems to be the consensus from my research on this forum and other resources.

I've never had occasion to use yeast nutrient. Maybe someone else can advise you on that.

From what i gathered from my local brew store was to add half a gram of yeast nutrient when starting, and another half gram half way threw the whole fermentation process.
And i have also heard let it sit in the primary for up to 2 months , but i could be wrong on that one.

it sounds normal, no need to rack it until it's done fermenting, best to leave it alone. if you're dying to do something, start another batch, or go on youtube i hear there's a kitten that can play the accordion
i also have made batches with and without nutrient and have never seen an obvious difference, but haven't compared that closely.

Back