Need Sausage Recipes!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac21

Reaction score
I just got a refurbished meat grinder for my kitchen aid. Made some ground chuck this last weekend. Now I want to do some sausage making. Anyone out there have any good recipes they've tried?:rockin:

I've had some good results with the LEM seasoning kits.

I also have several "made from scratch" recipes for Summer sausage, bratwurst, and snack sticks (slim Jims).

I don't have them handy but I'll post up a few later.

I generally make 20 pound batches, which might be a bit much.

Thanks Doug. Looking forward to the recipes. I'll prob start off with a 5lb batch. I don't have a stuffer yet so I'll just be able to make patties. I made a cheddar brat and a blueberry maple bkfst sausage bf...not too shabby. Although there was way too much cheese in the brat.

This is one of my favourites.
For approx 10lb of pork and apple sausage

Pork meat 7lb 2oz (80/20 loin to belly works well in terms of fat content)
Fine day old bread crumbs 1lb 4oz
2 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoon dried herb de Provence or mixed herbs
About 750ml ice cold cider
2 large cooking apples peeled, cored and grated
3 or 4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to season to taste, I usually add about 2tsp salt and maybe three of fine ground pepper

The trick to good texture as you may know already is keeping the meat cold. I chill it, remove from fridge dice Tito go through grinder then pop back in the freezer for 1/2 an hour. Adjust the dryness of the mix with more iced cider or breadcrumbs added a little at a time as necessary.

Pass the meat through course plate then mix well with all the other ingredients making sure the cider is as cold as poss.

Pass through grinder a second time.

Return to fridge and chill overnight, before stuffing into hog casings or making into pork and apple burgers patties.

Potato Sausage (non-traditional)
one of my favorites for a breakfast sausage

Ratio should be 1/3 Pork, 1/3 lean Beef, 1/3 Potatoes
2 medium/large onions
1 - 3 cloves of garlic
Kosher or Sea Salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Allspice
Sage
Thyme

Portions/weights are determined by the size of the equipment and to taste.

Coarse grind meat, potatoes, onion and garlic.
Mix in Salt, Pepper, Allspice, Sage and Thyme.
Stuff into rinsed casings.

To cook, typically it is boiled whole in the casing for about 1/2 hour and then cut to serving size. But what I like to do is after they have cooled, is split the casing open and turn the filling out into a hot frying pan with a little bit of real butter, brown it up a little bit and then serve it next to some easy over eggs with rye toast.

Subsailor said:

2 medium/large onions
1 - 3 cloves of garlic
Kosher or Sea Salt
Allspice
Sage
Thyme

To cook, typically it is boiled whole in the casing for about 1/2 hour and then cut to serving size. But what I like to do is after they have cooled, is split the casing open and turn the filling out into a hot frying pan with a little bit of real butter, brown it up a little bit and then serve it next to some easy over eggs with rye toast.

Now that sounds good! The potato element particularly appeals as an Irishman.

Looking forward to trying these recipes! Never even thought of potato sausage. Thanks for the ideas!

2 medium/large onions
1 - 3 cloves of garlic
Kosher or Sea Salt
Allspice
Sage
Thyme

This actually looks very similar to my mom's venison sausage. The only difference is there are no potatoes and she adds mustard seed.

Does this freeze well?

Actually, it freezes very well. I learned it from a friend of my Dad's when growing up in Michigan. It was a Swedish or Norwegian recipe but I have doctored it through the years.

We have used portions of venison, moose, elk or caribou but always with pork. We've even used homemade bacon bits as an added flavoring agent, kind of like the herbs and spices.
I would like to try with some mustard seed. Thanks for the idea.

2 medium/large onions
1 - 3 cloves of garlic
Kosher or Sea Salt
Allspice
Sage
Thyme

I assume the pork is shoulder or something fatty? Sounds good, haven't done any sausage in a while i may have to rectify that

Yes, I like pork shoulder but I have seen more traditional recipes calling for lean pork and even adding a quantity of milk.

OK, Here are some snack stick recipes:

Spicy Snack Sticks (10 Lbs)

8 # Lean Venison/Beef
1 # Pork Butt
1 # Beef Fat/Trim
5 Tbsp salt (Don't use iodized salt!)
2 Tsp Curing Salt
5 Tbsp powdered dextrose
1 tsp hickory smoke flavor (I omit this and use my smoker)
3 tsp celery powder
3 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp curry powder
3 tsp white pepper
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup Flavor 86 -OR- 1 cup non fat dry milk -OR- 1 cup soy protein (binding agent)

Run the meats through a coarse grinding plate. Meats grind best if they are semi-frozen.
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until tacky
Regrind the mixture through a medium plate
Stuff the mixture into casings (sheep or 26 mm collagen)
Refrigerate overnight
Hang the cured links in a smokehouse.
Set the temperature to 130 Degrees, do not add wood chips yet.
When the sausage is dry to the touch (about 1 hour), add woodchips to the smoker, close the damper.
Raise the temp to 150-155 degrees for about an hour
Raise the temp to 170 until the sausage temp reaches 155 degrees
Remove from smokehouse and allow to cool slowly.
Finished snack sticks will be shriveled.

Pepperoni Snack Sticks (10 #)

8 # lean venison
1 # pork butt
1 # beef fat
5 tbsp salt (Don't use iodized salt!)
2 tsp curing salt
4 tbsp powdered dextrose
4 tbsp corn syrup solids
2 tbsp anise seed
3 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic granules
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup Flavor 86 -OR- 1 cup non fat dry milk -OR- 1 cup soy protein (binding agent)

Run the meats through a coarse grinding plate. Meats grind best if they are semi-frozen.
Refrigerate overnight
When the sausage is dry to the touch (about 1 hour), add woodchips to the smoker, close the damper.

Jalapeno Snack Sticks (10 #)

8 # lean venison
1 # pork butt
1 # beef fat
5 Tbsp salt (Don't use iodized salt!)
2 tsp curing salt
4 tbsp jalapeno pepper powder
4 tbsp dehydrated jalapeno pepper (1/4 in cut)
4 tbsp dehydrated bell pepper (1/4 in cut)
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp allspice
1 cup cold water

Refrigerate overnight

Peppered Snack Sticks (10 #)

8 # Lean venison
1 # pork butt
1 # beef fat
5 tbsp salt (Non-iodized)
2 tsp curing salt
4 tbsp coarse black pepper
4 tbsp dehydrated bell pepper (1/4 in cut)
2 tbsp garlic granules
2 tsp curry powder
1 cup cold water

Refrigerate overnight

And here are some sausage recipes:

Thuringer (10 Lbs)

8 # lean meat
1 # pork butt
1 # beef fat
2 tsp curing salt
5 tbsp non-iodized salt
4 tbsp caraway seeds
4 tbsp powdered dextrose
4 tbsp crushed red chili pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup cold water

Stuff the mixture into casings (2 1/2 in fibrous)
Refrigerate overnight
Hang the cured sausage in a smokehouse.

Shower the sausage in cold water for 2-3 minutes. This is to prevent them from shriveling up.
Hang the cooled sausages at room temperature to dry/bloom.
Once dried, refrigerate or freeze. Sausage can be eaten hot or cold.

Bratwurst (Fresh sausage - 10 Lbs)

7 # lean venison
1 1/2 # pork butt
1 1/2 # beef fat
4 tbsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 whole eggs
1 1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mace
1 tsp ginger
1 cup cold water
2 cups whey, or non fat dry milk, or soy protein

Grind meats together through a coarse plate
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well
Stuff the mixture into casings (33-36 mm collagen or hog) or make into patties

Freeze any sausage that won't be eaten for 2-3 days. Cook as you would any fresh sausage.

Polish Sausage ( Fresh - 10 Lbs)

7 # lean venison
1 1/2 # pork butt
1 1/2 # beef fat
4 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp coarse black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp whole mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp marjoram
1 cup non fat dry milk or soy protein
1 cup water

Grind meats together through a coarse plate
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well
Stuff the mixture into casings (33-36 mm collagen or hog) or make into patties

Cook as you would any other fresh sausage

Note that you can replace the lean venison with lean beef. The flavor 86/non fat dry milk/soy protein ingredients are just "binding agents" that work to keep moisture in the sausage and prevent the sausage from crumbling when prepared. They don't really add any flavor themselves and can be used in place of each other.

Depending on your stuffer, you may need to add more water to make stuffing easier. I have a Dakotah water stuffer and a jerky cannon for stuffing. The jerky cannon works well for smaller batches, though I typically scale the recipes posted above up to 20 pounds.

And now I really have to get out and shoot me some deer. My venison supply has run out from last season already.

I have a really good summer sausage recipe as well that I will post up as soon as I find it.

One note on the salt:

You've probably noticed that many of the recipes state to use non-iodized salt, kosher salt, or sea salt (canning salt or pickling salt is also OK). The reason for this is because the added ingredients in common table salt (iodine, de-caking agents, some others) can lead to discolored sausage and off flavors, especially in smoked sausage.

It is also common to see a recipe that is just ingredients, no measurements. To make a sausage with a recipe like this, start with conservative measurements for the ingredients (you can't take it out if you add too much!), and pan fry a small piece to taste. Repeat this until you have something you like. You can even do this with smoked sausages, however the finished product will obviously taste a little different.

Jalapeno & Cheese Summer Sausage

5 lb Ground Venison
1 lb Ground Beef
2 cup Water
3 Tbsp Mortontender Quick (this is the cure and is VERY important)
2 Tbsp NonIodized Salt
4 Tbsp Soy Flour or non fat dry milk
3 Tbsp CoarseBlack Pepper
1 Tbsp MustardSeed
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp GarlicPowder
1 cup Dehydrated JalapeñoPeppers 1/4 in Chopped (more or less to taste)
2 cup High Temp Cheese (More or less to taste) I've used both pepper jack and cheddar
2 to 3 21/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings
Liquid smoke (optional, use if cooking in an oven instead of smoker)

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you are grinding your own, start out with a coarse plate.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Before you start, get the casings soaking in warm water with a pinch of salt added.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mix all of the spices & meat (not the cheese and jalapenos) together until thoroughly mixed. If you are grinding your own, run it through the grinder again through a medium plate.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Add the Cheese and jalapenos and carefully mix them in. They tend to break apart easily. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If desired, take a small piece and pan-fry it to determine if adjustments need to be made. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here it is, ready to stuff:[/FONT]
[/FONT]
7k62.jpg
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If everything is to your liking, you can now stuff the casings. There are a couple of options when it comes to stuffing. You can either use a stuffing horn on the grinder (I don't like this option), use a stand-alone stuffer (preferred option), use a jerky shooter (which really is just a small stuffer), or even stuff it by hand. Hand stuffing will likely result in an end product with a fair amount of air in it, though I actually hand-stuff the very last little bit of sausage that my stuffer can't stuff. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]To hand-stuff, form meat balls out of the sausage, and drop it in the casing, squeezing as much air out as possible. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Get it stuffed as tight as possible, it is highly unlikely you'll break the casing. Fibrous casings are incredibly strong. Once the casing is full, tie off the open end with the string that comes with the casing, or you can use hog rings.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Once stuffed, allow the sausage to cure in the fridge for 24-48 hours. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Once cured, it is time to cook it. This can be done in an oven, a grill, or a smoker. Set the temperature for 200-250 and cook until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 160 degrees.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As soon as you remove the sausage from the cooker, put them in an ice-water bath to cool them. Keep them in the bath until the center temperature reaches 80 degrees or so.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Once they are cooled, you need to hang the sausage to allow it to bloom. If you use a clear casing, you will see the sausage getting darker as it dries. After several hours, when the sausage is completely dry, they are ready for the fridge, freezing, or eating. They will last at least a year in the freezer with freezer paper. Longer of you vacuum seal.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is the finished product:[/FONT]
[/FONT]
3i7u.jpg
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]

My mouth is watering from reading all of these recipes...so awesome. I'm really pumped about the summer sausage and that greek sausage! Question about the salt. I do some smoking too...if I used iodized salt in my rubs, will that produce off flavors and discoloration as well?

to me, even regular iodized salt has a slight metallic "tang" to it. (just the straight salt)

Some people don't notice and others don't mind.

I use non iodized salt for everything.

But to be completely honest, it is more of a preference thing than a food safety thing. Color difference is slight, and the flavor change is something not everyone notices.

If you have been using iodized salt, and like the result, there isn't really a reason to change the recipe.

One thing to be aware of is salt really shouldn't be measured by volume. It should be measured by mass. Normal table salt has a much smaller grain than sea salt or canning salt. If a recipe calls for 2 tsp of salt, and the recipe was written using canning salt, using 2 tsp of table salt will yield an end product that is too salty.

You would actually want to use about half as much table salt.

Back