First experimental batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodyswoodchuck

Reaction score
So I am not a total newb to brewing (got about 5 batches under my belt) but they are all extract. Looking to finally move into some more adventurous brewing. Admittedly I decided not to take the full plunge yet, so get an extract kit and going to "fiddle" with it. Kit is a Munich helles and I am planning on adding dried blood orange, coriander, and ginger into secondary. This is my first lager and my fermentation room cannot get to optimum lager temps. Any suggestions, and any thoughts as to if this will work. Looking for any ideas or advice.

So I am not a total newb to brewing (got about 5 batches under my belt) but they are all extract. Looking to finally move into some more adventurous brewing. Admittedly I decided not to take the full plunge yet, so get an extract kit and going to "fiddle" with it. Kit is a Munich helles and I am planning on adding dried blood orange, coriander, and ginger into secondary. This is my first lager and my fermentation room cannot get to optimum lager temps. Any suggestions, and any thoughts as to if this will work. Looking for any ideas or advice.

Advice? Figure out a way to get your temperatures controlled enough to lager, or brew an ale and save this batch for later on. Seriously, you are not going to be happy with a larger that ferments too warm.

Handle that before you start tinkering with fruit and spices.

Forgot to mention. Planning on using 1/2 ounce dried blood orange, 1/2 ounce coriander, and 1/4 ounce ginger. Does this sound like appropriate amounts for a standard 5 gallon batch?

There are yeat that can give you the clean, crisp qualities of a lager without requiring lager temps. I just started looking at a munich helles recipe that uses an ale yeast and got real excited. The brewer who posted it is talented and it has many positive reviews. Read this thread and pay attention to yeast choices. Beirmuncher ferments his @66°f!

Don't worry. No matter what your situation there is a beer style that will fit it or a season during which you can easily brew it.

There are yeat that can give you the clean, crisp qualities of a lager without requiring lager temps. I just started looking at a munich helles recipe that uses an ale yeast and got real excited. The brewer who posted it is talented and it has many positive reviews. Read this thread and pay attention to yeast choices. Beirmuncher ferments his @66°f!

Don't worry. No matter what your situation there is a beer style that will fit it or a season during which you can easily brew it.

Subbing out for an ale yeast is the only way you'll be able to brew this recipe and end up happy with it. I still have my doubts that you'd mistake the batch for an "authentic" Munich Helles, but will freely eat my hat if I'm wrong.

I do know that fermenting a lager yeast at ale temps is going to make you a sad brewer, blood oranges or no.

I do know that fermenting a lager yeast at ale temps is going to make you a sad brewer, blood oranges or no.

Sounds about right. Read a bunch of recipes, look for ones that use an ale yeast and mention yeast flavor characteristics that sound good to you.

A thought down another avenue. You might try sticking to one spice or fruit addition per beer to begin. Get a couple of kits and try one with coriander and one with ginger. To many spices will muddle up the finished product. If you want to experiment then take small steps in a systematic fashion. That is experimentation.

A good neutral yeast is the pacman yeast Rogue uses in all their brews. You can reclaim it from bottles (this is actually really, really easy) or perhaps get some from your local homebrew store or online. If you buy it, I think it's called "San Diego super yeast" or something. But yeah, it really splits the hoppy/malty divide and does not add many unique and/or dominating flavors to the beer - this helps if you're adding a bunch of additions and really want them to shine. The main reason I thought of it, however, is that thee are tons of forums all over where people claim to have gotten it to ferment in the 50s and even upper 40s, so it's a great ale yeast to ferment something cold and clean (like a lager yeast would do).

Did a bit of research.

San Diego super yeast is not the same thing as pacman. It is, however, a very similar type of yeast. Fast, high attenuation, low temperature range, alcohol tolerant, and extremely neutral yeast. I thought it was just the same yeast but they rebranded it or whatever - apparently wyeast releases pacman from time to time, and the white labs equivalent (which is currently available) is the San Diego super. I'd still recommend reclaiming, though, 'cause pacman is awesome.

The other reason I suggested pacman is that Rogue's dead guy ale is a maibock/Helles bock style beer made with (obviously) pacman. So, it seemed to be a good fit given you are trying to make that kind of beer. Just keep it really, really cool.

Another good yeast for mock lagers is the San Francisco Lager yeast used for California Commons. Ferments very clean in the low 60s and is very flocculant and settles firm. It is one of my favorite stands.

Back