Cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosanjari

Reaction score
Hello everybody! New brewer in a panic here.
I brewed my first 2 batches 2 weeks ago. Both based on the same recipe and using the same yeast. The only difference between the two are the hops used and the actual schedule. Oh and a 90 min boil on the 2nd batch instead of 60min.

Today I took my first final gravity readings as I'm looking to bottle on Sunday. The first batch is looking good at around 5.2%abv and the 2nd at 6%abv.
They both taste good but perhaps missing a little body.

My biggest concern is that the 90 min boil which I hopped continuously is very very cloudy.
Is this something that can be cured by leaving it in the primary longer or is it something I'm just going to live with?
And yes I used protoflac 15 mins from flameout.
Thanks for your time and efforts.
All help is greatly appreciated .

image-2556550000.jpg

More time in the primary and alot of that will drop out. Or rack it to a secondary and put it in the fridge, the colder temps will drop out the floaties faster. If you really want it clear cold crash it then add gelatine.

I cold crash right in my primary. 3 weeks minimum in primary, then put the entire bucket right into my keezer for a day or two. Siphon high and work it slowly low to avoid pulling anything from the bottom. My beers come out very clear. I also use whirlfloc in the boil.

Thanks guys.
Panic over!
Unfortunately my set up us pretty basic just now so I think I'm going to have to let it sit longer in the primary and move it down to the cellar where it's a bit colder. No space in my refridgerator.

Good things come to those who wait right.

How's does the gelatine procedure work?

If you google it there is a bunch of stuff on it, but it goes something like this.

You take a measuring cup full of water, heat it to about 150 degrees, add a half a packet of Knox plain gelatine and let it sit for about 20 minutes to bloom. Then add it to your beer.

This works alot better if the beer is cold. In a day or two it drops pretty much completely clear.

If you get the water too hot it will set the gelatine and you get jello. You dont want that.

It works because the gelatine atracts the protiens and stuff floating in the beer and weighs it down causing it to settle out.

Mlyday, your the man! Thanks!

I'm definitely gonna try the gelatine after ive left the beer in the cellar a few days.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

Why the "Panic" in the first place? No need to panic, it's just "unfiltered". I usually leave my low-mid gravity beers in primary for 2 weeks, 1 weeks secondary and cold crash for 48 hours before kegging. I haven't had any clarity issues. I take care to rack off the bottom, and try not to disturb the trub during transfer. I wouldn't panic though, you still have delicious beer.

The panic stems from not knowing what I'm looking for . As I said , first brew. Your process seems the most sensible. 2 week primary, 1 week secondary, cold crash. Is it possible to just ride it out in primary? Maybe I've just got itchy fingers.

The yeast I used was safale us-05.
I initiallyt hought maybe the continuous hopping contributed to the cloudiness.

At the moment ive moved it from 70 Fahrenheit in my apartment to ithe cellar at 55 Fahrenheit. I'll check on it on Sunday and probably rack to secondary whilst I bottled other brew and brew another.

Thanks again

Depending on the yeast you use, time and cold temps usually clear the beer pretty well. Being its your first beer, your probably not going to have the patience to wait.

Like other have said, there is nothing wrong with a beer thats not clear.

Back