Had my first blow out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich5665

Reaction score
I made a gallon of Mead on Tuesday, when I went to check the progress of the fermentation, the mead was basically coming out of the airlock :rockin: Just in case I had a water bottle filled halfway with a spring water star san solution on stand by along with a tube soaking in a sanitized water. I know it's never a good idea to expose anything to air, but the air lock popped out so it was a quick replacement. I have yet to experience this affect with my beer.

My Braggots have done this every time. Last one bubbled over for 2 days. I assumed it was because I didn't leave enough head space. Still tasted great in the end

Typically when I do 1 or 5 gallon batches I primary in 2 or 6.5 gallon primary containers because of the krausen that is created from the happy yeasties. I do this now as when I first started I did my primary in my 1 gallon and 5 gallon carboys and had a nice sticky mess all over the floor.

I just received to 5 gallon carboys from a friend of mine. He found them at a local flea market. I'll use one for Mead and the other for beer.

I'm thinking of racking my mead in a few weeks, this would be the first racking. The mead went into the Primary on June 9th and I was thinking maybe around July 7th for the first racking.

So I check on my first bottle of mead yesterday, and the yeast is still fermenting like crazy. That must be some happy yeast. I figured the fermentation would start to slow down by now.

Back