Sweet Potato Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smchasta

Reaction score
I finally got my Sweet Potato beer bottled and out to the masses. It conditioned just in time for Thanksgiving and family and friends kept coming back for more, which was a nice surprise since I was winging it.

For 2.5g recipe:

4.0oz Oats, Flaked
4.0oz Wheat, Flaked
8.0oz Munich (10L)
5.0lbs Pale Male 2 Row US (2L)
4.0lbs Sweet Potato

1.0oz East Kent Goldings (5.00%) @60mins
1.0oz Cascade (5.50%) @ 15mins

Wyeast Ale Blend #1087

Boil Gravity 1.074
Final Gravity 1.021

1Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice Ground and 1 tspn of Vanilla.

Sweet Potatoes: Bake at 225 for 4 hours to allow natural conversion of starches. Once potatoes are soft, scoop 4lbs of potatoes from the skin. Add water until the potatoes are just covered. Add amylase enzyme and stir. Allow to rest ~2 hours. Add to mash.

Mash at 158 for 60 minutes. Bring up to boil for remaining 15 minutes.

Primary 14 days. I used Muntons KreamyX for priming and added the Pumpkin Pie Spice and Vanilla at the same time. Bottle condition for 14 days.

It came out with a great sweet potato orange at 13L. The starch left the beer cloudy, but not so much that stopped everyone from wanting to drink it. It is sweet, also from the starches, but not overly sweet. It gives off the scent of the potatoes but the taste doesn't come through as much as I had hoped. The spices are just right and you get a hint of them as opposed to a slap in the face that you can sometimes get with allspice and cinnamon.

Everyone loved it and I'm going to be brewing a larger batch for Christmas. Just something to try. I am going to keep the spices at the same proportion and add more sweet potatoes to the next batch. Hopefully I can get the potatoes to come through a little bit more without the starches becoming more of a factor.

Latest posts

Back