Limited Ingredient Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Am thinking of trying to brew up a Saison as soon as the weather gets hot here in Korea (probably second half of May). Still a bit early, but I'm trying to plan ahead due to limited ingredients.

The closest yeast I can get my hands on is WLP550.

I can get the following hops: Saaz, Nugget, Hallertauer and Cascade.
And the following malts: pilsner, carahell, carafa, weizen, munich, rauch, smoked, vienna , caramunich, carapils, munish, chocolate, roast barley and black patent. No crystal of any kind or biscuit malts.

Is there any way to put together a decent Saison with that? If not what sort of Belgian ale could I put together easily with WLP550 and just those malts and with high temps?

You can make a saison with only pils, sugar, saaz and/or hallertauer, and the 550. I'd say its better to have a 'real' saison yeast, but that would be fine to me. You could add a few spices to get it more like a saison with a saison yeast also.

I second landhoney, the standard saison I make is 80% pils, 15% munich, 5% table sugar. hop with saaz or Hallertauer as you see fit (its great that you can find those, I havent been able to get my hands on them all year)

Spices range from nothing (let the yeast produce all the flavors) to one with Grains of Paradise, Grapefruit Peel, and a little bit of Strawberry & apricot juices. Really whatever is available to you that you think will taste good, put in there in small/moderate amounts.

landhoney said:
You can make a saison with only pils, sugar, saaz and/or hallertauer, and the 550. I'd say its better to have a 'real' saison yeast, but that would be fine to me. You could add a few spices to get it more like a saison with a saison yeast also.

Ya, I think I'll do that. Really want to try a beer were I don't have to sweat fermentation temps in the summer too much and I love everything Belgian...

Back