What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got ingredients for my third or fourth batch of Yooper's [Awesome] Hoppy American Amber and picked up my first ever sixer of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed.

i have a busy day ahead. i have to rack my APA to a secondary (i like clear beer), then on to celebrate my father-in-law's bday for a couple of hours, then to buy/exchange a propane tank in order to brew my all grain American Amber. Created a starter which probably should have been done yesterday or thursday, but oh well...

Today has been a great day for beer

-met a member of HBT today who was getting rid of beer bottles, very cool guy!
-did my first partial mash brew today, a wheat lager
-started cleaning labels from the above mentioned bottles
-SWMBO said that she is happy I homebrew because she enjoys the different brews I am making, which was a very nice compliment to get.

All said, a great day to be had.

Working on a corona grain mill build today. Can't finish it until my wife gets home with the dremel.

I love my corona mill!

With that extension you have on yours, how many pounds do you think will fit in it?

Kegged an IPA and a Quad, what didn't fit in the keg of the quad went back to bed with some bugs.
Cleaned and serviced the kegerator and bottled a batch of 100% brett saison:D

I've been shaking a quart jar of slurry every hour or so, and a smaller hat I thought might be dead. It's awake, the lid has domed out five times today. The quart jar had a party going this morning. Looking at a 1.080 brew tomorrow, hope this is enough.

Brewed three liters of trial beer to see if my harvested yeast is okay and dry hopped my Last Hop Standing APA yesterday. Spent today afternoon having out at the local/provincial homebrew meeting with a bunch of local homebrewers and curious bystanders. Even got the wife to come this time!

I love my corona mill!

With that extension you have on yours, how many pounds do you think will fit in it?

It's a 6" x 24" furnace vent pipe. I overlapped it and drilled a screw through it for the install. So installed, it's about 5" diameter.

I figure it should hold in the neighborhood of 6lbs of grain.

Kicked a Maibock keg yesterday so racked another into the same keg. I brewed this back to back but a Weizenbock was ready so it got tapped last night. (2 fermenter / 2 keg rotating pipeline)

Also ordered my ingredients for a Fat Tire clone which will be the first time using the Safbrew Abbey Ale yeast.

Kegged my APA. Didn't think I'd get around to it BC of easter activities so I'm happy I was able to get that accomplished. Now time to drink

View attachment 268884

Tasted 4 of my beers side by side today with my family. The largest bottle is the St. Patrick's day seasonal from a local brewery I've been wanting to try. The two favorites were the second and third from the left. (Lawnmowing beer and a lightly hopped Amber ale).

So the left guard and center were best. They need to block that Jadeveon Clowney-like defensive end, Patrick something or other...

Racked 5+ gallons of my #7 IPA to a keg and started force carbonation. :mug:

20150406_132124.jpg

we are moving soon and I specifically picked the house we are getting because of the bad a** shed in the back yard. Hello new brew room! Cant wait to start insulating it and getting cabinets picked out

Cleaned the keg that had my last IPA in it, got my new drip tray for the keezer (thx USPS), and ordered an HBT tee shirt. Cheers!

Ran twine for my hops from the ground to my second floor deck. Hoping to create a little privacy with them.

I just tossed a pound of tart cherries and a vial of brett into my unintentional sour for kicks. It's been a 1.002 since at least 1/11/2015 and it will be a year old on 4/25/15. I also racked my quad to secondary over 2 pounds of cherries, it's at 1.022 but it started at 1.098 and I don't think I made a big enough starter. That will get some oak that was soaked in pinot noir or a cab, I had the oak in cab but when I opened the container, there were a few film floaties on top. I'm not taking a chance, this is a beer brewed on 12/13/14 and will be drank exactly 1 year later. I plan to remove it from the cherries and oak in 3 more months, then finish up bulk aging in a keg.

also.. i just bought so much supplies.. every item is a step closer to better beer!

Items Purchased:
770-0001 Iodine Tincture
C300-99306 pH Test Kit Envelope
40-3372 Nylon Hose Brush 3/8" X 66"
24-5377 Thermohydrometer 12"
19-BE510 Siphon Spray Wort Aerator
24-4866 Plastic Bottle Filler w/ Spring Tip 3/8''
24-6022A Star San Sanitizer 32 oz
24-4661 24" Plastic Paddle
73-2699 Brix Refractometer w/ ATC (Automatic Temperature Control)
24-4882 Italian Bottling Spigot

Suggested to Responsible Ohio to work smarter, not harder by using E-Sig for their petition to legalize weed here. Then I can go to the LHBGS!! :cross: You may leave here for 4 days in space...but when you return, it's the same old place. The poundin' of the drums, the pride & disgrace....

just put in an order for a pound of el dorado a pound of citra and a variety pack containing 2 oz each of Azacca CTZ Summit Equinox El Dorado Citra Apollo Warrior Brewers Gold Sorachi Ace. yakima valley rules..

just put in an order for a pound of el dorado a pound of citra and a variety pack containing 2 oz each of Azacca CTZ Summit Equinox El Dorado Citra Apollo Warrior Brewers Gold Sorachi Ace. yakima valley rules..

Yeah, I like em too. Got our group buy yesterday: 3 lb Nelson Sauvin, 1.5 lb. each Rakau, Sorachi Ace, Azacca, and Caliente, 1.25 lb. Huell Melon, 1 lb. Ahtanum, 12 oz. each Calypso, Equinox, Fantasia, 8 oz. each Pacifica and Lemon Drop, for a total of 15 pounds shipped across the water to China - just over 4 pounds for me. Splitting them up and vac sealing them was a pain, but it would have been worse if it hadn't been for some pricing inefficiencies where a number of varieties were cheaper by the 2 oz. than the half-pound (or even pound). That allowed me to order a bunch of 2 oz. packages to split up nicely among the members of the group buy. Gotta ship em out tonight after getting off of work.

Not today, but this past weekend Saturday I bottled my Impaler. Started out as a pale ale, but I wanted it a little strong, and it ended up as an imperial, thus the Imperial Pale, if that is a thing :D. 8.6%

I bottled my BORIS on Sunday. Bourbon Oak Russian Imp Stout.. with vanilla beans. This one was huge, and ended at 15.5%. I started the fermentation with regular S-05, then about a week in I added a lb of sugar with some 099 super high gravity. A few days later I added another lb of sugar. The taste at bottling was pretty dang good, even though I've still been getting over this cold which knocked out my smell and taste for over a week.
Today wont be beer related, but I'm bottling my cabernet sauv after work.

Took my little 150 ml starter (built up from a slant, and was definitely at high krausen this morning) and did the final step up to 1.2L.

Nothing: :(

...we're expecting to be moving in the next 30 days or so... no time to brew, condition, and drink before moving day!

That, and I'm already sitting on about five cases of filled bottles means my liver has its work cut out for it between now and moving day, anyhow.

Back