What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I showed the girl one of the finer points of brewing... sniffing the airlock post-dry hop.

0425051617.jpg

Checked out local classified ads, managed to find a 7 gal primary, 6 gal glass carboy, 10 ft of tubing, siphoning cane, bottle caps, and a small thermometer. All for $30!!

On a not so good note, I finally accepted my defeat with a previous batch.. over carbonated, really really bad tasting blonde, that I used a lager yeast (at 20C for only 10 days... It was my second batch ever and I didn't know anything about brewing..:() Had to dump 4 dozen bottles.. But now that means I have 4 dozen empty clean bottles waiting to be filled! Can't wait to get my BIAB set up ready and do some all grain batches for the summer. :ban:

I was just gonna say pretty much the same thing. I just got done ordering grains & a lil LME's for 2 beers I need to get brewed. My "new" Buckeye Red recipe I wrote 2 years ago & never brewed. And the new, improved version of my Whiskely stout. More chocolate malt, & swapped the black patent malt for black prinz, which is supposed to be smoother & mellower than the former. It's also said not to have that astringent aftertaste as well. Just what a chocolate, bourbon, oaked stout needs to develop better flavors with less aging than the bitter, overly roasty black malts typically do. In theory, of course...

Delabling bottles. I started making ciders and have *quickly* run out of delabled bottles between brewing and cider making. At least now I have the room to store all these delicous fermented beverages, and I can do the delabling in a utility sink in the basement, instead of in a bath tub (oh god my back).

Edit: Yes, a kegging system is in my future, hopefully by end of summer I'll have a fridge with picnic taps, spend my tax refunds next year to build it out to be a really nice kegerator.

Ordered my Corona mill on the church's Amazon prime account. It'll be here wednesday.

Entered my first competition, and my town's first. It's May 11, can't wait to see how that turns out. I did it more for the oppo to meet local homebrewers than in any hope of winning. It's not even BJCP, just a simple BOS comp.

So back on Sunday, I tripped on a towel and knocked over my Mash Tun with 14.75 lbs of grain and 5.6 gallons of wort all over my back porch, right when I had only 15 left on the mash...smack...that sucked, but I am making a corner wall for my table that holds my mash tun to help block from the wind. Wasn't expecting the wind to get that nasty on Sunday afternoon. I will be drinking some good amount of Juniskeet Smoked Wheat when I get home.

Cleared some hop pellet debris out of the neck of the carboy that was riding to foam up to the narrow blow off tube before it could be a problem. Used the sanitized handle of a spoon because I discovered that the business end didn't fit. I swear I wasn't drinking when I forgot to use a hop sock

Yesterday, I dry hopped a batch of zombie dust and took the gravity on a blonde base for a strawberry blonde.
Today, I cleaned out 2 kegs and completely cleaned out my jockey box. Also found out that my co2 tank for carbonating is empty.

Got my ingredients for Saturday's brew delivered - an AHS Irish summer ale, which I originally did about 3 years ago as stovetop extract batch, and am expecting a new kettle and propane burner to arrive tomorrow.

(All of my AG setup is in storage for 6 months. Was planning on doing this batch on the stovetop and realized my biggest pot will hit the brim at 3.5 gal's. Decided last minute to pick up a really cheap 30 qt. pot/propane burner to get me through the next 6 months without my regular equipment. May be tough to get a complete full boil w/out boil over even w/ 7.5 gal kettle, but better than a 2.5-3 gal partial boil!).

First time going back to extract from AG in about 2 years, but never had a temp controlled chamber, oxygen system, or yeast starter knowledge back in the day, so I'm hopeful it will turn out better than in my early days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So back on Sunday, I tripped on a towel and knocked over my Mash Tun with 14.75 lbs of grain and 5.6 gallons of wort all over my back porch, right when I had only 15 left on the mash...smack...that sucked, but I am making a corner wall for my table that holds my mash tun to help block from the wind. Wasn't expecting the wind to get that nasty on Sunday afternoon. I will be drinking some good amount of Juniskeet Smoked Wheat when I get home.

That is ****ing terrible man, sorry for your loss.

That Dern keg kicked when I got home so I cleaned it quickly and put the next brew in it. It was a repeat and I forgot to check the gravity DUH!
Beer tomorrow again tho!
:mug:

Cleaning & delabeling a few batches of bottles finally. Waiting for my new camera & two batches worth of grains/extract to be delivered today. Going to brew my Irish red & Whiskely ale, at least one this Saturday. But this weekend is also free fishing weekend here in Ohio. No license needed! Momma wanna go feeshin'. Me too, but I wanna brew on National Home Brewer's Day Saturday, darn it.

Well, a day late but Brewed my first Hefeweizen, looks good. Overshot my numbers by a little and collected an extra 2L of wort... Should be good though, trying to control ferm temps with a wet towel and a fan. We'll see how it turns out in about 3 weeks to a month!

Started putting away the hops, LME & ton of grains today. The first pic is 8lbs of 2-row in an outer bag with Maillard Malts logo on it. Never saw that one before. Might repurpose it as a new dust cover for the bench capper?

And the grain dunnage is almost full for once!

Just picked up a corny keg from Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor, MI. I didn't hang out to see what everybody was brewing today, because I was taking my daughter to the park.

Beautiful day for brewing though. I'm sure everybody out there is still having a blast.

Mashed in with room to spare in my 5 gallon BK/MT with 8.6lbs of grain & 2 1/2 gallons spring water. I could've easily went with 2.7 gallons. Messed up on mash temp. It got to 165F while I fiddled around getting ready. Cooled it with cold water, but used too much. Went down to 146F. So I hope wrapping it well maintains some temp. Dammit.

Busy beer day! Bottled my raspberry oatmeal stout. Racked a blonde ale to 2nd with a crap ton of strawberry, and made a version of horchata.

All family request!

I also bought the ingredients for a hefe which I'll brew tomorrow. And started cleaning bottles.

I also had a few home brews and smoked a cigars!

All in all a good, busy, day!

Got my PM Buckeye Red in the fermenter yesterday, & it's started bubbling a lil bit ago. Gotta get to cleaning up some more in a while.

Going to brew a Maris otter citra smash, bottle my table saison, and transfer the sour saison.

I was cleaning up after NHBD & remembered the parts I had to fix my other FV. Gotta finish cleaning up, then get back to bottles while the other FV bubbles away.

Starting last night until just now I have made a yeast starter of San Diego Super wlp090 for my IPA I'm brewing today. Then I sanitized all my bottles and buckets, tubes and canes which led me to bottle my smoked porter. Whew!

Tested the yeast I had stored in the fridge.... Yay! it's still good! I have a question though: In extract brewing, can you steep oatmeal (along with your other grains) to increase the body of the final product? ...I don't feel like going to the supply store just to get some carapils.......

Zested a few oranges and crushed some coriander put in a jar with some vodka. To add to my Belgian. I forgot to put in at flameout, so I will add to secondary in a few days. I also painted a few rooms that my ex-tennant that ( I evicted ) left a mess. Now to enjoy the rest of the with a few Left-handed milk stouts and some BBQ.

Moved my newest batch (a very light-base raspberry ale) into the basement, now that fermentation is taking off and the 72oz of raspberries have been added.

Tested the yeast I had stored in the fridge.... Yay! it's still good! I have a question though: In extract brewing, can you steep oatmeal (along with your other grains) to increase the body of the final product? ...I don't feel like going to the supply store just to get some carapils.......

Yes. Earlier in my brewing career I made an Brewers Best oatmeal stout and steeped the oatmeal and it, although finishing far higher than they said it would it was by far one of my best all extract brews.

Writing more of my new HB book, after Saturdays series of unfortunate events. Watching the fermenter still bubbling away & cleaning up some more. Darn joints still hurt from falling.

Latest posts

Back