Keggle or 20 gallon Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
I have everything for doing 10 gallon batches except for a bigger pot. On Blichmanns site they say to use a 20 gallon pot for 10 gallon batches. Where most here seem to use a keggle. But a keggle is what 15 gallons or so? And if so any issues with 90 or 120 minute boils and the pre-boil volumes? I am just trying to figure out if I should pick up a finished keggle or spend the extra $100 and go with the bigger Blichmann. Any thoughts?

if you can afford it go with it, i say this as my 20gal is on the truck and making its way to my porch. but i thought what the heck my store is selling the 15 keggle for 599 and with shipping and the items i got from brewmasters warehouse i still save fifty buck on the blichmann, dam alaska

I do 90 minute boils in my keggle. I have never had a reason to do a 120 boil but I could it really depends on how much you boil off. That being said if I could afford it I would gladly swap out my keggles for 20 gallon blichmanns although it is by no means necessary

I use a keggle, and it is plenty of volume for a 90 minute boil. Actually, just did a 90 minute boil on my Pilsner recipe and ended up with over 11 gallons of wort. I use a defoamer product from Austin Homebrew that helps avoid boilovers. But even without it, after the hot break it's easy to maintain a boil without boiling over.

If you have the cash, I'd go for the Blingman...it's a nice pot. BUT, if you have other things you'd like to get for your brewery (or ingredients), I'd go the cheaper route with the keg. There is no difference in the finished product.

I do 10 gallon batches in 15 gallon pots with no problems at all. Definitely pay close attention during the hop additions but other than that its easy

I do have a brewing buddy that I split the cost of my equipment with. I do all the brewing, cleaning, bottling, kegging and we split both the cost of all the supplies and equipment and the BEER down the middle. So the cost is really not cheap but not a killer either. Guess I am just going to have to man up and order the Blichann. If it wasn’t for our agreement I would probably only be on my 10th batch or so by now. I think we are pretty much all set for equipment. So far I have a complete kegerator with 5 taps another chest freezer from the Sears sale the other day that will be my cold fermenter. I picked up a 14.5 gallon Conical for myself for Christmas . I also got a plate filter, water filter, immersion chiller, refractor, thermapen, aeration kit and stone, 10 gallon igloo for mash, 8 cooler for hot water that will be replaced with my other 9 gallon kettle. And tons of kegs, bottles, carboys, buckets, and all the other stuff. Only things that I would like to upgrade or purchase is some pumps, and a better mill (using small corona now). Anything else I am forgetting?

Blichman. I have seen nothing built with such care and attention to detail. Dont take my word as gold... just my $.02

Also, don't let the shiny be the deciding factor. Kegs can be shiny too!

DSCF0346.JPG

The Blichman is much lighter than a keggle, if that matters to ya!

Look at the Update International 80 qt stainless steel pot same as a Mega pot from Northern Brewer. Can be had for 150 plus shipping from here http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/sps-80/p5179.aspx?source=googleps Thick very nice pots better than a keggle though not as nice as a Blichman. You can get a false bottom from Northern Brewer or Jaybird. I think he, Jaybird, sells also sells large pots with false bottoms for cheap just ask him.

Well I just pulled the trigger for the 20gallon Blichmann. Hell I think Austin Home Brew should put me on the payroll I spend so much money there! :mug: Thanks for all the thoughts guys I can’t wait to get this bad boy!

Well I just pulled the trigger for the 20gallon Blichmann. Hell I think Austin Home Brew should put me on the payroll I spend so much money there! :mug: Thanks for all the thoughts guys I can’t wait to get this bad boy!

They are beautiful... they are, congrats!:rockin:

They are beautiful... they are, congrats!:rockin:

I have to 2nd that. Indeed they are. And I got my from AHS as well. One bit o' advice when you get it: use that heat shield to protect the thermometer and valve joint. Even WITH it, I still melted off the plastic coating to the valve handle on the first go-around.

Now, I'm using my wife's oven mitt to open the darned thing! Hee hee.

I have to 2nd that. Indeed they are. And I got my from AHS as well. One bit o' advice when you get it: use that heat shield to protect the thermometer and valve joint. Even WITH it, I still melted off the plastic coating to the valve handle on the first go-around.

No heat shields here, I am all electric ;)

I always did 11 gallon batches and a keggle is horrible for 11 gallon batches. I like to be able to get aggressive with my hot break and the keggle doesnt allow for it.

I always did 11 gallon batches and a keggle is horrible for 11 gallon batches. I like to be able to get aggressive with my hot break and the keggle doesnt allow for it.

Sure it does! Choose one or more:

1. Defoamer (AHS sells some)
2. Fan directed at the top of the kettle (ask Jaybird or Biermuncher)
3. Spray bottle of water

My heat shields are being used as mounting areas for my (4) hose connections. One may be electrically etched with the brewery name on it as a name plate.
P1030719.JPG

Was gonna hold off on asking the following, as I was thinking it was off topic, but then I realized it IS part of the Blichmann, thus could impact the decision on whether or not a person gets one. The question:

Are the multiple hose connections for HERMS or something?

Was gonna hold off on asking the following, as I was thinking it was off topic, but then I realized it IS part of the Blichmann, thus could impact the decision on whether or not a person gets one. The question:

Are the multiple hose connections for HERMS or something?

The one on the right is the BK, those are chiller and recirc connections. The left is the MLT, that connection is for the AutoSparge Those are DIY connections I made

Thanks for the heads up! Actually I also just got a Blichmann TopTier Burner and the first time I used it with my current kettle I went to open the valve and my finger tips burnt to the valve it was so hot! My finger prints are actually scorched onto the valve handle still! This new burner just blows away my old turkey fryer. :mug:

What's a good price for the empty keg before adding everything else?

That’s a loaded question to some here! It depends on where you get the keg and if it’s a stolen or non returned keg or one that was sold as scrap by the brewery. When I looked around most sites that sold used hand downs were around $100+. But you can find kegs on craigslist or scrap yards for about $40 sometimes even less. I could be wrong but when I looked around getting all the fittings that I wanted was way more than the keg itself.

Many of my club members have gotten retired kegs from the local brewery for $30, usually because of something wrong with the stem. Add a $20 brass ball valve from bargainfittings.com and put it on a turkey fryer, and get brewing!

That’s a loaded question to some here! It depends on where you get the keg and if it’s a stolen or non returned keg or one that was sold as scrap by the brewery. When I looked around most sites that sold used hand downs were around $100+. But you can find kegs on craigslist or scrap yards for about $40 sometimes even less. I could be wrong but when I looked around getting all the fittings that I wanted was way more than the keg itself.

Thanks for the info. Found one on Craig's list in that ball park.

Sure it does! Choose one or more:

1. Defoamer (AHS sells some)
2. Fan directed at the top of the kettle (ask Jaybird or Biermuncher)
3. Spray bottle of water

Or how bout this...... instead of trying to compensate, you just get a bigger pot! I hate keggle brewing. Not to mention I like whirlpooling much more with a flat bottom

Latest posts

Back