Lagering in the Mountains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was thinking about brewing my first lager. I don't have an extra fridge to lager it in, instead I was thinking about just digging a deep hole in the snow up at my cabin on Mt. Ranier and letting it sit there for a couple of weeks. Has anyone heard of people doing something like this before? And do you think this is a good idea?

It might get too cold, that's the only problem I can think of, and perhaps fluctuations in temperatures. But you could definitely try it.

Honestly before fancy fridges lagers were done in caves and basements. And many of us ghetto lager. Seems like you have the perfect opportunity to do some playing around.

You may want to build an insolate box and sink that in the ground to keep it above freezing. But you should be fine.

There is some info in this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lagering-outside-134652/

Back