Tall Thin Pot vs. Short Wide Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1365

Reaction score
Okay so here is the deal. I do 2.5 gallon AG stove top batches. To do this I have 2 4 gallon pots one pot for the mash and one for the sparge. The first pot is a tall thin SS pot and the other is a short wide aluminum pot. Last time I boiled I used the aluminum pot and barely got a boil going. I am wondering if I would have better luck using the SS pot for boiling? Anyone have experience with this?

I think you'll get a better boil with the taller, thinner pot because more of the bottom is in contact with the burners and there is less surface area to lose heat. You'll also get less evaporation with the lower surface area.

i know on my stove i need to straddle my short 5g across 2 burners to get even a soft boil going. my tall 7.5g turkey fryer however gets a good boil from just being on 1 burner and with up to 6.5g in it.

i would say straddle on two burners, but i boil outside lol

I tried straddling the wider pot last time but the burners are too far apart to do that effectively. I was planning on trying my SS pot this weekend and now I definitely will try that when I brew this Sunday.

Back