Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't gotta be a hop head to enjoy craft beer. Just avoid IPAs and related kin.

You almost contradicted yourself. Well over 50% of all craft beers are IPAs, IIPAs, IIIPAs, American-style something or other... ALL very hoppy. I enjoy plenty of craft beers, but there is an overwhelming hoppy majority that I have to weed through to find something I like. Quite often it's not worth risking wasting money on something new that I'll dump down the drain because it's too hoppy.

You almost contradicted yourself. Well over 50% of all craft beers are IPAs, IIPAs, IIIPAs, American-style something or other... ALL very hoppy. I enjoy plenty of craft beers, but there is an overwhelming hoppy majority that I have to weed through to find something I like. Quite often it's not worth risking wasting money on something new that I'll dump down the drain because it's too hoppy.

I am a hop head, but do believe a good percentage of American beers are very hoppy. A small example: Stone Levitation ale. A low gravity beer brewed for taste. It wasn't until after I recently tried it to realize how hoppy it is. The first time I had it, didn't even show up on the radar. More recently, my exact thought was "this is unnecessarily hoppy". I do believe that eventually enthusiasts will get tired of hop bombs, and the pendulum will swing the other way. My taps definitely show it.

BreezyBrew said:
I am a hop head, but do believe a good percentage of American beers are very hoppy. A small example: Stone Levitation ale. A low gravity beer brewed for taste. It wasn't until after I recently tried it to realize how hoppy it is. The first time I had it, didn't even show up on the radar. More recently, my exact thought was "this is unnecessarily hoppy". I do believe that eventually enthusiasts will get tired of hop bombs, and the pendulum will swing the other way. My taps definitely show it.

I hope so...the whole hop extract served with a bowl of steamed hops and hop cheesecake for dessert thing is starting to get on my nerves.

Mark my words ... sour beers are the next big thing.

I couldn't do it. I would probably end up mocking customers & refusing to sell them beer until they try something "decent". and I'd probably end up harassing the craft beer curious guys. you probably seen them looking over every craft beer in every cooler and on every shelf, but then end up getting a 30pk of Busch Light.

I have this image of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons running a beer store...

I hope so...the whole hop extract served with a bowl of steamed hops and hop cheesecake for dessert thing is starting to get on my nerves.

you don't want a salad?

0911001912a.jpg

Mark my words ... sour beers are the next big thing.

At the rate that the black market sells some of the big name sours... I would say its the current big thing. I'd venture to say the next big thing will be some adjunct like rice. Not bmc style, more like sake meets beer.

At the rate that the black market sells some of the big name sours... I would say its the current big thing. I'd venture to say the next big thing will be some adjunct like rice. Not bmc style, more like sake meets beer.

I do enjoy sour beers, but for me many of them are cost prohibitive. I don't end up drinking them too much.

Who gives a $hit what the next "big" thing is. I enjoy both hoppy and non hoppy beer. I agree about a huge percentage of craft beeer being IPA related but there is still a good amount of craft beer getting released by good craft breweries that is not hoppy at all, If you are lucky enough to have access to them. Also now would be a good time and season to get into checking out some of the craft stuff for you "beercurious" (this is great ) guys.

My main point is i'll never understand the desire to drink a beer that is current or hip. Who gives a crap. If one likes IPAs but wont drink them anymore because its not popular in a few years. Thats just nonsense IMHO

Who gives a $hit what the next "big" thing is. I enjoy both hoppy and non hoppy beer. I agree about a huge percentage of craft beeer being IPA related but there is still a good amount of craft beer getting released by good craft breweries that is not hoppy at all, If you are lucky enough to have access to them. Also now would be a good time and season to get into checking out some of the craft stuff for you "beercurious" (this is great ) guys.

My main point is i'll never understand the desire to drink a beer that is current or hip. Who gives a crap. If one likes IPAs but wont drink them anymore because its not popular in a few years. Thats just nonsense IMHO

The reason it affects you, is that even though craft brewers are doing what they love making great beer, they are also businesses that need to stay afloat. They will follow the money. Almost all small brewers' top selling beers are IPAs. If the palate shifts, you'll start to see more interesting things in other categories, because these brewers won't need to keep so much of their "hop bomb" beers in the pipeline. I feel like your rant it well placed but short-sighted.

The reason it affects you, is that even though craft brewers are doing what they love making great beer, they are also businesses that need to stay afloat. They will follow the money. Almost all small brewers' top selling beers are IPAs. If the palate shifts, you'll start to see more interesting things in other categories, because these brewers won't need to keep so much of their "hop bomb" beers in the pipeline. I feel like your rant it well placed but short-sighted.

I agree. HB supply stores are doing the same thing for the same reason: they're in business to make money. If hoppy beers are driving more people to learn how to brew, by all means make what they want. NB's catalog covers often reflect that (when they show kits), and I don't fault them. They also sell the kits I want, just not usually on the cover. When is the last time you saw a beer shirt or 6-pack holder highlighting malted grains? I can't remember one. But there are a zillion shirts and holders out there with hop images all over them (and not a grain in sight). I pass a brew pub everyday called Hoppy Brewing Company. When friends took me there (I never had any interest in going there on my own) I asked them what the least hoppy beer they serve is and after a confused (almost condescending) look, they said "We have a nut brown." That nut brown was so damn bitter I only sipped half, and with a garlic fry chaser. A "NUT BROWN!!!" Here in California I won't order any IPA, pale ale, most ambers, or stouts for exactly that reason. I even got an overhopped barley wine at a place in Santa Cruz! The public wants hops, so the brewers give them hops. Simple supply and demand. What I DO drink and brew are beers that transcend any fad, basically anything German or Belgian, and some nut browns and porters. Hoppy beers won't and shouldn't go away, they are classic styles dating back hundreds of years, but I look forward to the day when they don't saturate the market. I should note that the overabundance of hoppy beers is exactly the reason I now "make my own damn beer," to quote AHS.

Not that I've helped at all, but we need to get back to Funny things you've overheard about beer.

And when the next big thing comes along, the craft beer snobs will complain about that too. Hopheads, Malt Men, and Bug Brothers, UNITE! We can't turn on each other, we get too much crap from the piss-swillers. Whatever keeps craft brewers in business is fine by me; there's still plenty of great beers for all of us.

One chick asks me for a light, high abv (over 7% she tells me) that's not bitter. I have no idea what to tell her, but in the end I sold her a sixer of Spaten Optimator, haha.

I think that was a very poor recommendation. Optimator isn't light in the least so you completely ignored 1/3rd of her request. Why not something like Duvel or La Fin du Monde?

And when the next big thing comes along, the craft beer snobs will complain about that too. Hopheads, Malt Men, and Bug Brothers, UNITE! We can't turn on each other, we get too much crap from the piss-swillers. Whatever keeps craft brewers in business is fine by me; there's still plenty of great beers for all of us.

I agree with you too. I drink what I like and love the fact that beer and homebrewing are so popular and profitable right now, even if I don't like most of it. I toast my Marzen to your IIIPA, now let's get back to funny! :mug:

Schlitz.jpg

There's a sign on the beer distributor I drive by every day fro work that says: Magic Hat 30.99 All Flavors.

I know what hey mean, but the wording makes me think they just make one beer and add different flavored syrups to it like a snow cone.

You forgot one. Adjunct-holes? Or maybe Adjunkies?

BeerGrylls said:

I agree completely and i kept it short sighted intentionally to prevent my rant from running too long. I had planned on writing about every brewery's obligatory ipa and pale ale an how they are flagships for alot of breweries as well. But i dont feel it prevents them from the brewing the other styles they love and want to brew. I also dont think that once this IPA craze is over that breweries will discontinue their IPAs and PAs.

I think the double side of that is what happened to IpAs will happen to sours or whatever other style becomes the new "in" beer and we will be saying how sick of brett and lacto bombs we are in a couple years. :tank:

I think that was a very poor recommendation. Optimator isn't light in the least so you completely ignored 1/3rd of her request. Why not something like Duvel or La Fin du Monde?

It's not like I didn't tell her what I was selling her. I didn't recommend Duvel or La Fin Dumond because I've never had either and don't know anything about them. I'd rather sell her something I know something about that kinda sorta fits her criteria than sell her something about which I have no idea.

It's not like I didn't tell her what I was selling her. I didn't recommend Duvel or La Fin Dumond because I've never had either and don't know anything about them. I'd rather sell her something I know something about that kinda sorta fits her criteria than sell her something about which I have no idea.

Wow, go out and buy some tonight. Or some Wesmalle will do. BGS/tripels are one of my favorite styles.

It sort of sounds like you're the kind of beer salesmen that we've spent this whole thread laughing about. :shrug:
How can you sell beer for a living and have no idea what a triple or Belgian Golden Strong tastes like? Even if you've never had it, you should have at least a rudimentary understanding of the style points.

It sort of sounds like you're the kind of beer salesmen that we've spent this whole thread laughing about. :shrug:
How can you sell beer for a living and have no idea what a triple or Belgian Golden Strong tastes like? Even if you've never had it, you should have at least a rudimentary understanding of the style points.

Knowing the style points is completely different from knowing an individual beer. Would you honestly expect me to tell someone that DFH 120 Min is actually a DIPA? We all know that it's closer to barleywine, but it's marketed as a DIPA, so you would expect me to suggest it to a customer simply because it's marketed as DIPA? I simply wil not try to sell someone a beer that I myself have not tried, even if I have tried the style it claims to be.

But then why not suggest something in that style that you have tried? I'm just confused why you would recommend a dopplebock to someone who asked for a light beer.

But then why not suggest something in that style that you have tried? I'm just confused why you would recommend a dopplebock to someone who asked for a light beer.

Because the only BGSAs I've had are homebrew. I didn't really recommend it per se. I just knew it met her requirements of high ABV and not bitter, so I explained how it differed from what she was looking for and she thought it sounded good. I didn't trick or deceive her into buying something she wasn't asking for.

I get where he's coming from he could have tried to sell her a bud light platinum. It's light not bitter has a bit higher Abv. It's not like he was trying to scam her. He simply gave a recommendation

Because the only BGSAs I've had are homebrew. I didn't really recommend it per se. I just knew it met her requirements of high ABV and not bitter, so I explained how it differed from what she was looking for and she thought it sounded good. I didn't trick or deceive her into buying something she wasn't asking for.

and this deserves an "Oh snap." I wouldn't recommend a beer I've not had either. I'll tell what I've heard or read about it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

BudzAndSudz,RDWHAHB bruva.

edit: if it was me, I'd tried to sell her Narwhal. just because I'm an A-hole.

The funniest thing I heard about beer lately is a discussion of beer knowledge and palates. No one ever thought to bring up the economics of beer choices.

and this deserves an "Oh snap." I wouldn't recommend a beer I've not had either. I'll tell what I've heard or read about it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

BudzAndSudz,RDWHAHB bruva.

edit: if it was me, I'd tried to sell her Narwhal. just because I'm an A-hole.

Stay away from them. You could get adjunctivitis. No pill gonna cure that ill.

Billy has adjunctivitis!

Back