Crossing the line to AG...I think...soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A very elementary question. Once I decide to take the leap from partial to AG, am I going to have to roller-pin 12lbs of grains the same way I do my CarPils, Black Patent etc? One of the least enjoyable parts of the partial mash is trying to crush the grains before steeping. Is the same routine necessary for the AG...grainage?

I told you this would be elementary.:eek:

Thanks.

Where do you buy your grains from? Every place that I'm aware of, both homebrew stores and online shops, will crush them for you. You can buy/build roller mills, but that's not something you have to worry about initially. You certainly aren't going to use a rolling pin for 12lbs (I'm surprised you aren't getting them precrushed now...)

Yeah, I think that would take the wind out of my sails if I had to crush a batch of grain with a rolling pin.

If you are seroius about going AG and in it for the long haul, then I suggest you go for the best mill you can afford. Makes buying grain in bulk all the easier.

Well, like I said... I'm hoping to go AG soon. You've answered my question though. The grains do need to be crushed in a similar manner. You're right, only Popeye has the forearms to roll out that much grain. Does anyone have any "outside the box" ideas for coming up with a home grinder? My HBS would be happy to grind for me...but I guess if possible I'd like to take a "pioneer" approach and do it myself...if practical.

KalvinEddie said:
Well, like I said... I'm hoping to go AG soon. You've answered my question though. The grains do need to be crushed in a similar manner. You're right, only Popeye has the forearms to roll out that much grain. Does anyone have any "outside the box" ideas for coming up with a home grinder? My HBS would be happy to grind for me...but I guess if possible I'd like to take a "pioneer" approach and do it myself...if practical.
If I were you, I'd have your LHBS crush the grains for you especially for your first few AG brews. In the meantime search the threads here as there is a lot of conversation about crushing grains.

Back