Instant oats - mash required or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
searching the interwebs has produced conflicting reports: if I'm looking for body (starches) from the oats, steeping them is sufficient, correct? also, does the same hold true for other grains (rye, wheat, etc.)

Any input is appreciated, as I don't have any spare 2-row on hand :(

Ive read you can put them in the mash no problem. but i always steep them just in case, im gonna do another oatmeal stout soon and i'll let you know how it worked!

searching the interwebs has produced conflicting reports: if I'm looking for body (starches) from the oats, steeping them is sufficient, correct? also, does the same hold true for other grains (rye, wheat, etc.)

Any input is appreciated, as I don't have any spare 2-row on hand :(

Any starchy adjunct, like all unmalted grains, really should be mashed. The "instant" description means that the oats have been pre-cooked but it does not mean the starch has been converted. You might add something by steeping but it isn't desirable in the long run. Steeping is only going to soak out some starches, gums and proteins none of which you want floating around in your beer IMO.

Well I'm :drunk: but I'll throw my $0.02CDN in. :)

You can definitely steep the oats and get that nice body and mouthfeel everybody loves them for. But if it's anything but a stout you'll get quite a starch haze as has been mentioned - you'll also get no fermentables, but depending upon your recipe that may not matter. Post the recipe and we can say for sure.

I use a handful of oats (1/4#) for mouthfeel in most of my ales and have reduced to almost eliminate haze by using a fining agent like whirfloc or IM. If you have carapils or another dextrinous malt you can get the same affect without so much worry of haze. Use of fining agents and regulating your mashing temps are the best solutions to closely obtaining the mouth feel you desire and controling the haze.

- WW

Just a note: use Quick oats, not Instant. Instant oats will always contain salt & other things you don't need in your beer.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely be using some quick oats, ideally with some that I have toasted in the oven beforehand.

Back