Orfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Can you make apfelwein with orange juice instead of apple juice, i guess making it orfelwein? has anyone tried it?

i was also thinking if you used a lager yeast instead and keep it in the fridge.

i love the carbonated orange juice drink you buy in the vase shape glass bottle at the supermarket

YUCK! Orange juice is for screwdrivers and breakfast....Screwdrivers FOR breakfast???MMMMM

OH...And your brew...should you decide to try and keep the German sounding name....would be called: Oranger Wein...Kinda.

Can you make apfelwein with orange juice instead of apple juice, i guess making it orfelwein? has anyone tried it?

I haven't tried orange juice but I have tried Hard Limeade. I belong to a wine making forum and this recipe first appeared over four years ago. I prefer limeade so I used that instead. I didn't filter it and it looks and tastes like lemonade (with a nice kick) when you drink it but it sure is tasty over ice on a hot summer day. It ferments out to about 7%. It doesn't take long to make either. Don't mistake this for Mike's. This isn't a malted beverage. In fact, I think I'll post the recipe. This has been a summertime staple for a lot of people for the past few years.

Hard Lemonade . . 5 gallons

lemonade concentrate for 5 gallons
5 lbs sugar
champagne yeast

I havent tried fermenting it but when I've bought OJ from the store that was too acidic I add just a little bit of chalk (CaCO3) from my brewing supply and it cuts the acid without any off flavors. so maybe adding a little chalk or using water very high in carbonates would allow you to ferment OJ. I would also add some orange zest because the oils in the orange peel contain a lot of orange flavor without any acidity.

I don't understand everyone's griping about fermented orange juice? I doubt it'll be like apfelwein because I doubt it would have the same 'crispness' that the apples give. However, I think it's worth a try. Just don't make it like prison hooch and you might turn out something that's not half-bad. I don't know how to cut the acidity though, if you really need to. Fermentation may simply take longer? I don't understand how this can be different than hard lemon/limeade. I may try this soon

Back