repost of an important question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyarb3

Reaction score
Sorry. I would like an answer for this one...

Just added strawberries to my secondary of a blonde ale. Wondering how my gravity readings will be effected.

OG-1.078
FG-1.018(out of the primary after 16 days)

When racking to the secondary, i added (roughly) 6lbs of strawberries. I think the yeast will eat up some sugars and create more alcohol.

1: Is that correct?

2: Will the FG from after I rack to a tertiary(?) be accurate with relationship to the OG?

If it's not a straight across calculation, is there an additional random # that I can add/subtract to my gravity readings?

Thanks for the help, guys. I have learned a s**t-ton from this site, and I appreciate everyones help for anything!!

thanks
chris.

Here are the nutrition facts for raw strawberries

It says a 153g serving has 7g of sugar. Which means strawberries are 4.6% sugar. Fruit sugars in general are almost entirely sucrose and/or fructose, and therefore you can assume they are 100% fermentable. So for your purposes you've added 0.276 lbs of fermentable sugar to your beer. Adding it to secondary is the same, gravity-wise, as if you'd added it to your boil.

Back