RIMS Setup Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
After debating between finally converting my setup into an e-HERMS or e-RIMS system I think I've decided on RIMS for various reasons. I have one LG pump and I want to know if a single pump setup is sufficient for a single tier, keggle, RIMS system?

Another question I have is whether or not the electric controls (PID, heatsink, SSRs, etc.) are the same whether or not you have a HERMS or RIMS setup? Keeping in mind the level of automation and such are the same either way you go.

Thanks for the help!

You can get by with one pump, but having two makes is so much easier. I control my RIMS/single tier with a BCS which can do it all. I assume that the PID can control either as you are measuring temps.

I use one pump with no issues on my single tier system. If you haven't read this thread yet, you should. Invaluable.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

new set up.jpg

Are those QDs on the input/output at the Tees? I was wondering if I need something more permanent or should I just find a bushing that will reduce to the size of my QD?

Another option is an on-demand fly sparge through the RIMS tube. If you build a RIMS tube powerful enough, it's possible, then you don't need a HLT and your water pressure pushes the water through the RIMS tube during sparge, so you only need one pump to pump wort from MLT to BK.

meaning you dont need to have a hot water reserve to sparge with. if you do it slowly enough, or your heater is powerful enough to heat the water to sparge temps in one pass, you run cold tap water thru the RIMS and sparge with the output.

that way your house water pressure replaces the pump needed to transport the hot water.

Yep, just as audger said.

I was planning to do mine just like I described with the RIMS tube having a 3500w HWD element at both ends and switching them to opperate at 110v for recirculation and switching to 220v for sparging.

Latest posts

Back