Re-using yeast that has a pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a lot of wild brews in gallon glass fermenters. I'm planning on bottling a couple of gallons of Brett beer and a couple of gallons of flanders. All four carboys have pellicles. All are at least 11 months old.

I was planning on leaving a little of the liquid in a couple of them (one of Brett and of the flanders) and swirling up some of the sediment and using it in my next beer.

Obviously since all of these have pellicles, and the pellicle will be in whatever I harvest. Is there any issue with this?

Plan was to take these + some JP dregs and make a gallon beer/starter, and add it to the secondary of a yet to be created beer (probably something like a low IBU Belgian, mashed high).

I'm not sure what your question is here, but if you are just asking if you can re-use the sour yeast/bacteria, yes you can. As far as the pellicle is concerned, you don't need it to inoculate fresh wort, just use the dregs (It's fine if the pellicle is there also). The pellicle is a result of the yeast/bacteria to protect it from oxygen.

You can also save the dregs in a smaller vessel for future use as well. I typically just keep the dregs from all my sours in swing tops and vent them once in a while.:mug:

Latest posts

Back