Flame-out or late addition DME vs. Corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejearn

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1 lb of corn sugar at flame out. I happen to have 1 lb of pilsen DME lying around, so could I substitute the DME for the corn sugar? I understand that the DME is probably only 80% fermentable, whereas the corn sugar is 100%, but I worry about cidery flavors from the corn sugar....

I have a recipe that calls for 1 lb of corn sugar at flame out. I happen to have 1 lb of pilsen DME lying around, so could I substitute the DME for the corn sugar? I understand that the DME is probably only 80% fermentable, whereas the corn sugar is 100%, but I worry about cidery flavors from the corn sugar....

Either is probably ok, depending on the recipe. I like sugar in some IIPAs and IPAs, because extract can sometimes give a bit too much body. If it's a thinner bodied, lighter style, like cream ale, or a mild, the corn sugar would be fine.

What are you making?

Either is probably ok, depending on the recipe. I like sugar in some IIPAs and IPAs, because extract can sometimes give a bit too much body. If it's a thinner bodied, lighter style, like cream ale, or a mild, the corn sugar would be fine.

What are you making?

I'm making a Black IPA, you may have seen a thread on this earlier this week. I actually kind of prefer to have a heavier body for this batch, more of a winter black IPA, or stout IPA. I may also add about 1 lb of oats to the mash.

Also, if I use DME instead of corn sugar, does it make a difference when I add it to the boil (i.e. 60 minutes, flameout, etc)?

DME generally isn't boiled because there is no DMS to worry about, and you only risk scorching it on the bottom of the pot as you stir it in. It will also affect hops utilization. If your recipe says to add the additional source of sugar at flameout, do what the recipe says or it could throw off other things. But, I guess you probably don't care about that anyway because you would rather use $8 of DME instead of 25 cents worth of corn sugar. Honestly, it probably won't make much of a difference when you add it, unless you are doing a partial boil. Then, a pound one way or the other would significantly affect hops utilization.

DME generally isn't boiled because there is no DMS to worry about, and you only risk scorching it on the bottom of the pot as you stir it in. It will also affect hops utilization. If your recipe says to add the additional source of sugar at flameout, do what the recipe says or it could throw off other things. But, I guess you probably don't care about that anyway because you would rather use $8 of DME instead of 25 cents worth of corn sugar. Honestly, it probably won't make much of a difference when you add it, unless you are doing a partial boil. Then, a pound one way or the other would significantly affect hops utilization.

Thanks for the feedback, I will be doing a full boil. I haven't decided whether to use corn sugar or DME at flameout yet, I was just curious what people thought either way. Of course the purists insist that corn sugar keeps the beer "true to style", but I am not too concerned with that. I think I will end up using 1 lb of DME and maybe half a pound of corn sugar.

Not sure where you get your DME, but I know a pound sure didn't cost me $8, more like $5, which seems completely reasonable to me if I am going for a bit more body in my beer than corn sugar will provide.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Back