Honey weizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostileNabusive

Reaction score
Ok, so it's more of a late extract addition question...

I'm planning on a honey weizen in the very near future (for a summer brew). I have an extract kit and was planning on late extract addition.

ingredients:
6 lbs Wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% barley)
2 lbs honey
1 oz styrian goldings (bittering)
1 oz styrian goldings (aroma)
IBUs: 19.5
Also: 1tsp Irish moss

My question is, will adding the extract late increase the IBUs too much for this beer? I'd like a clear, light, not too bitter summer brew that's maybe more accepted by my cat-piss drinking buddies (busch/bud light anyone?).

Also, should I add the honey all right away or delay most of that also?

Dan

I only use 1oz cascade in my honey wheat, don't know the IBU's of styrian. Should be about the same. I would cut back to 1 oz if you want your BMC friends to even touch it. Add 1-2 lbs of the LME at boil, ad the rest and the honey late. Why bother with the moss? I didn't even use a secondary with mine and it was very clear for a wheat. Just my .02

Originally Posted By quickerNu
Why bother with the moss?

I guess I was just trying to make the beer as clear as possible. I should have put the disclaimer that this is just my second brew so I'm still poking around in the dark with my pants down...

So 1oz hops total? As in half bittering, half aroma? Other ideas? Thanks in advance

It really depends on the AAUs of your hops. You might have to adjust them to keep 19 IBUs, you might not. If you could post the AAUs of the hops, someone could run it through some software for you.

IMHO, not enough hops to worry about it. Put a lb or so of LME in and do your hops per recipe, then add the honey and lme @ 45-50 min, I have pushed it all the way to 5 before flameout. I wouldn't worry about the moss, but thats just me. It wont be super cloudy.

Back