Beer look alright?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsteg

Reaction score
American Amber from Brewer's Best. First brew I've ever done. I'm not worried about it. Just wondering if this is what its supposed to look like haha. Btw, it smells good enough I want to drink it right now :mug:

mailgooglecom-1.jpg

was my 1st beer as well and mine looked the exact same. Soo delicious after 4 weeks in the bottle - even better after 3 months lol...saving my last bottle for thanksgiving!

How long after pitching is this? It looks like there is a Kraeusen ring around the fermenter. but that floating stuff looks like dry yeast... If it's just left over Kraeusen, then it looks fine to me.

Awesome! Glad to know I'm on the right track

ChandlerBrewery - This is hours shy of exactly 1 week ago of pitching. If it helps, there are what looks like little pellets on the entire surface of the beer. If that's dry yeast does that mean bad news?

Awesome! Glad to know I'm on the right track

ChandlerBrewery - This is hours shy of exactly 1 week ago of pitching. If it helps, there are what looks like little pellets on the entire surface of the beer. If that's dry yeast does that mean bad news?

Well, assuming you used dry yeast, =), then it's not the end of the world. I would take a gravity reading and see if you are where you need to be after primary fermentation. If not, it just means you got a bad batch of yeast (perhaps you waited too long to use it, or the LBS sold you a stale packet). You could get you another packet, or tube, of yeast and let it have another go. If there is yeast slurry on the bottom of the fermenter, I'd recommend racking it out and providing a clean fermenter before pitching the new yeast. For future reference, creating a starter the night before you pitch will let you know if you have dead yeast - before you pitch it (it's also better practice in general, since it will greatly increase the population of your yeast and making for more efficient attenuation). Hope that helps.

Wow, yeah that helps a lot. I checked the FG and its reading right around the 1.010 to 1.012 range which is exactly where it needs to be based on the Brewer's Best sheet. So I'm assuming I'm doing alright. Thanks a lot! I'm going to rack it into a secondary on saturday and wait 2 weeks before bottling.

After reading over thousands of posts seems like most beers are fine till nervious brewers start taking the lid off and messing around. Leave it alone.

After reading over thousands of posts seems like most beers are fine till nervious brewers start taking the lid off and messing around. Leave it alone.

Yah that's what I've been reading but I only just took the lid off today to take a gravity reading and a picture and the lid went right back on. Then a gravity reading once for the next two days and then on to the secondary.

Russ - I want to rack it to a secondary so I can free up the bucket for another brew. Otherwise, yeah I'd probably just leave it in there

Latest posts

Back