Just brewed 1st full-boil batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingervitis

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just brewed my first full boil batch with my new 10gal pot. Lets just say my electric range took foorrever...I think I want to upgrade to propane.

Couple of questions, though: I know the "banjo" is the most popular burner, but is it really worth $80 plus the cost of a propane tank? I've invested quite a bit of cash in this hobby lately and I'm not sure if I can justify another ~$100 right now. Will other burners get the job done fast enough to be a significant upgrade over an electric range?

TIA

I'm surprised you got a boil at all on an electric range. I have the Bayou Classic SP-10, it boils 7 gallons in about 30-45mins, maybe quicker. I paid about $50 for it locally.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

I picked up the special off cabelas for 30 bucks. Free shipping since I had it shipped to the store a couple miles away. I gave the aluminum pot to my mom. It has an auto shutoff but a zip tie fixed that. Used it this past weekend and it worked great. The stand is sturdier than it looks in that picture and a keggle fits on top perfectly.

Lostman, how fast do you get 6-7 gallons (I'm assuming you're doing 5gal batches) to a boil with 38,000 BTUs?

I'm surprised you got a boil at all on an electric range. I have the Bayou Classic SP-10, it boils 7 gallons in about 30-45mins, maybe quicker. I paid about $50 for it locally.

I'm assuming that's cold water, am I right? I've heard 15-20 min to boil on that one...

Ya, that was cold water....and like I said, it may have been shorter, I've never scientifically tested it and don't usually run it full tilt. But I do like it for the price and my 10 gallon kettle fits perfectly on it.

Back