Dry-hopping with whole coffee beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I have read countless threads and websites talk about cold pressing coffee and adding it to your beer for coffee flavored recipes,.....

......but what about course grinding, or cracking, the coffee beans and simply soaking them in your conditioning beer, such as you might do with dry hopping? wouldn't this give you the purest 'essence' of your particular coffee roast? anyone ever tried this?

I have heard the idea come up before and if I remember correctly the concern was with bacterial infection.

I tell ya... everybody's worried 'bout them lil' bacterias... it's like we live in a sewer or something..... well a sewer flowing with beer... so I guess that's ok.

cold brewed coffee will produce less oil from the beans. if you put the beans straight in, it is likely to decrease your head retention. If you are kegging it shouldn't be a big deal. When I used coffee I was bottling so I used a cold brew

I did this one time...I was moving a stout to a secondary and on a whim decided to add about half a bag of cracked coffee beans to it. Let it sit for about 3 weeks and then bottled. There was a noticable amount of oil on top of the beer after that time and I think that contributed to that beers less-than-ideal head retention.

The beer had a pretty mean bite to it for a long time, I don't know if that's a result of the amount of coffee used or the technique. After 4 months or so it's pretty smooth now.

Latest posts

Back