Malty Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but my teacher told me once that there is no stupid questions. What malt gives a more pronounce malty flavor to the beer, is it Munich Malt? Also what are some good commercial examples of malty beers?

Munch malt gives the most pronounced malt flavor and Aromatic malt the most aroma. But the mashing process can produce pronounced maltiness using any malt.

Most commercial Doppelbocks have a strong malty taste. Hebrew Genesis--- a beer I love-- is a brown ale made with Munich malt, and it is very malty. Fullers is another widely available malty beer, I think.

At the risk of sounding condescending, malt gives that malty flavor, but there are a lot of facets to "maltiness" (i.e., sweet, bready, toasty, nutty, roasty, grainy, to rattle off a few). Since you mention Munich, I suspect you are aiming at those toasty, nutty, and melanoidin malty flavors and aromas.

Yes, Munich gives that sort of maltiness in spades. Vienna, British pale malt, and domestic "Special" pale malt give a little less. Typical domestic pale malt gives even a little less, and Pilsner malt gives less still. All those other malts give some combination of other "malty" flavors and aromas, though.

TL

I found Angler's Pale Ale from Uinta brewing to be quite malty.

Um, water profile? Can bring out malt flavor and place the hops in the background.

Back