First All-Grain Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
My Pliny clone has now been in the keg for two weeks. I had the CO2 pressure a little high, but when I noticed how fast it was carbing, I turned it down some, but still left it around 15 pounds pressure to speed up the process. Over the past week, it carbed up perfectly, but the head size increased and the bubble size increased with less lasing in the glass, and I also noticed a sour/acidic taste. This taste seems to overpower and mask the flavor and aroma of my hops additions, which BTW were incredibly good. I figured it might be becasue of overcarbonation, so I backed off again on the CO2 to around 10 lbs to get it down a bit. I had read that overcarbing or carbing too fast can cause off flavors due to the level of carbonic acid. Question: Do you think this sour/acidic taste is from overcarbonation, because I sure miss my hops flavor and aroma? BTW, I know this taste is not due to infection, because it reminds me of my last brew which was overcarbed at one point because it was a heavier beer that was stubborn with carbing.

It could be because of over carbonation. It could also be because the beer is green. Since I started kegging, I've used priming sugar to carbonate the beer at room temperature in the keg. This allows it to age as it would in the bottle. I think a lot of people serve their beer from the keg while it is still too green.

This particular beer is really meant to be drank fresh. Before this off flavor occurred, which I suspect is from overcarbing, otherwise, the beer is fantastic. This off flavor imparted by the overcarbing effects seems to mask the original flavor of the beer. I just wonder if others have noticed this happenning to them as well.

Back