Growler Saver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilkStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience with the Growler Saver Company. I purchased their Growler Saver package from their web site. Free shipping at the time which was great. I received the Growler Saver and was impressed with the quality of the cap. However, form the first time I used it the CO2 injector would not seal resulting in leakage. I could inject CO2 from the cartridge into the growler only one time. The the rest of the CO2 would leak out of the injector in just a few minutes. I used four cartridges on one growler. All four cartridges were empty in just a few minutes after putting them in the injector. To date I have not had much luck in dealing with Grower Saver.

Here is the timeline of communications I have had or attempted.

1. 24-Oct-2014: I first contacted Growler Saver on 24-Oct-2014. I received a prompt reply (same day) offering to replace the injector. I confirmed my mailing address and began waiting for the replacement to arrive.
2. 10-Nov-2014: No reply. I followed up with an email requesting the status of the replacement.
3. 17-Nov-2014: No reply. I contact Growler Saver again. This time I ask if a replacement was not being given, could I buy an injector. Note; they do not list the option of buying an injector only on their web site. I should also point out that the connector to the growler saver cap is smaller than the connect you find on an injector for kegs.
4. 06-Dec-2014: No reply. Send another email requesting the replacement or offering to buy a replacement.

Please note that I also let two message via their contact link on their web page . I do not have at the dates that I left those messages.

5. As of today 10-Dec-2014, I still have not received any additional response from Growler Saver since the initial response on 24-Oct. I am disappointed. The Growler Saver cap works great in keeping the beer fresh and carbonated in the Growler. However, I have had to use a new cartridge each time I resealed the growler. This makes using the Growler Saver cost prohibitive. I would be willing to buy a new injector in leu of receiving a replacement as I really the the cap and would like to continue to use it. At this point the cap is just an expensive paper weight.

Perhaps other have had better experiences with Growler Saver but, I thought I would share my experience with the forum as a heads up.

Regards,
Phil

That's too bad.

Did the unit come with the cartridges? I know that cartridges can vary in size slightly and some work better than others in certain devices.

Yes the Growler Saver kit I ordered came with one CO2 cartridge. I used this one first. After that failure, I used a cartridge from my LHBS. Once again a failure. I tired a different brand from another brew shop and they also did leaked.

As of today 02-Jan-2015, I still have not received any additional reply from Growler Saver.

I thought I would share a solution to my problem in case other were in the same situation. Genuine Innovations G2628 Ultraflate Plus Tire Inflator fits the in-gas connection on the Growler Saver. I used this injector with a cartridge from my LHBS and it worked perfectly.

I backed the project on Kickstarter with $60 way over a year ago. Never received anything. He stopped posting updates on Kickstarter about 8 months ago.

There are a lot of us in that boat. Unfortunate.

I backed the project on Kickstarter with $60 way over a year ago. Never received anything. He stopped posting updates on Kickstarter about 8 months ago.

There are a lot of us in that boat. Unfortunate.

That's sad. I visited the table of some people funding a movie while at a TV show convention with the family. Their movie sounded really cool and they had raised a bunch of money on Kickstarter to get it through post production.

That was October 2013.

Today there is like NOTHING to be heard from them regarding the movie, basically since that time or maybe a mention LAST January.

That kind of pisses me off. They take your money and disappear. Ought to be illegal.

Interesting complication. I just received my order (the kit w/ an extra cap) and sent an e-mail off to them asking how long I could expect the loaded injector to remain viable, considering that at least SOME CO2 leakage would occur. I sent the e-mail yesterday (1/21/15) and as yet have not seen a reply.

I should also note that the GrowlTap folks also sell an injector, but I do not know whether it might work on the Growler Saver caps.

I, too, shall report anything I find ...

Last edited:
Okay ... here is my experience with the Growler Saver system (cap and charger).

Keep in mind that your mileage may vary ...

2/6 - Purchased 64 oz. growler fill of an APA at Total Wine, Oracle at Wetmore in Tucson, AZ. Put on side (pressure forces a little liquid into threads, sealing cap) until time to open.

2/12 - Opened growler, poured 18 oz mug, put on GS cap, installed the CO2 cartridge (non-threaded type that was furnished with the cap) in charger, charged the growler, put growler in fridge and charger in freezer. I did that to keep the pressure in the cartridge at a minimum, so as to possibly minimize CO2 leakage.

2/17 - Relieved pressure, removed cap and poured another mug. Nicely carbonated, good flavor. Replaced cap, re-charged O.K., put growler back in fridge and charger back in freezer.

2/19 - Finished growler. Beer was carbonated just fine. Left charger in freezer.

2/20 = Curiosity getting the best of me; yanked the charger out to test it. Allowed it to come up to near room temperature. Short blast indicated plenty of CO2 pressure; put charger back in freezer.

At this point, I have no idea whether there is enough in the charger to re-charge another growler, but if I had to speculate, I would say that if the growler was still half or more full, it probably would. I'm headed back to my home in Albuquerque to return mid-March. By that time, I would expect the cartridge to have leaked all the CO2, but I'll test it again then.

I think that the bottom line here is that GS has worked out the bugs and, at least for me, has furnished a fine product.

Last edited:
At this point, I have no idea whether there is enough in the charger to re-charge another growler, but if I had to speculate, I would say that if the growler was still half or more full, it probably would. I'm headed back to my home in Albuquerque to return mid-March. By that time, I would expect the cartridge to have leaked all the CO2, but I'll test it again then.

3/12 - Returned to Tucson to find that the charger indeed had one more blast left in it, enough to re-charge a growler. That's damned impressive, folks. If there was ever any doubt (and there was ...), this should settle it.

I'll take a couple of growlers over to Total Wine this evening. Cheers!

Phil,
I had the same issue with my injector as you. Tried several things and the cartridge always drained instantly. The valve they use on the top is a Presta valve. Go to any bike store and for five bucks buy a Presta to schrader valve adapter. Take the lid to be sure and get it threaded correctly. Next go to you local Homebrew store or just about any online store and purchase their injector. This solves all the problems. My growlers stay fresh for a long time!!!

Back