Use a packet of Knox Gelatin to clear up cloudy liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suziebr

Reaction score
I just heard something the other day from a fellow brewer that he uses a packet of Knox Gelatin dissolved in some water and added/mixed into your fermenting liquid to clear up cloudiness in the liquid. Although I haven't tried this yet, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Only do this AFTER the beer has reached terminal gravity. I usually use it 2-3 days before bottling.

+1 on that

I used 1 tbsp dissolved in a few oz of cold water. Once it bloomed I heated it in the microwave for a bit. After it cooled I poured it into my double IPA which was on it's 3rd dry hop addition. I figured that it would pull the hops to the bottom and help clear it up. After about 48 hours it was pretty clear and all the hops were at the bottom. The only problem I had was transferring to the bottling bucket. I ususally leave just the yeast and trub at the bottom but I probably lost about a gallon or so. Check some of the threads below, good luck.

Back