Favorite online Homebrew Supply store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you order from the most?

• Northern Brewer

• More Beer

• Austin Homebrew

• Williams Brewing

• Home Brew Mart

• I only buy locally

• Other

• Midwest Supply

Results are only viewable after voting.
Austin Homebrew. I do have to pay state sales tax, but it's worth it to me since A) I'm supporting an in-state business and B) my stuff arrives the day after it ships.

I buy grain in bulk, hops too, and farm my own yeast, so I don't order kits, and I don't order regularly. That being said, I like to spread the love and order from one this time, another the next. I usually rotate between Austin, morebeer, williams, and northern brewer. I try not to purchase equipment from Austin homebrew because the 8.25% sales tax takes it to a new level.

I'm partial to Barley & Vine. Born out of the love for brewing and introducing homebrewing to a new generation of brewers. Also offers flat rate shipping. You can even call and start describing the beer you want to brew and they will help you formulate a recipe. Also known for their infamous Clone Brews.

Midwest. Every time I get ready to order, I think, "man, their shipping is kind of high", so I price my order at AHS or NB or the LHBS and every time, not only is it cheaper, no one else has their selection. Who gives a monkey if a HBS sells less than 8 oz when Midwest's 8 oz prices are cheaper than 2 oz anywhere else? Go make breakfast with the extra grains :) Most often, I can't even put together a real comparison of the same recipe due to hop, grain or yeast selection. I'm not a "loyalist". I'll buy from wherever makes sense. Midwest just makes sense. My LHBS is more expensive without shipping. They are pretty ridiculous though. I only use them now for one off items I don't want to order like caps or 1 lb dme.

It really depends on what I'm ordering. I like BMW because they have a recipe builder so after I make something in BeerSmith I can go make it in BrewBuilder and order the whole shibang in one go.

The problem is that some things are more expensive at BMW, so if I'm making a hoppy beer I would save a lot more money going with somebody like Midwest or another site. BMW sells them for a flat $2.15 but Midwest sells them at different prices usually in the $1.80 range. It may not sound like a lot but it adds up. Also, it depends on the grains that I'm using. BMW has a good selection of base grains, but I can choose from only 11. Rebel Brewer has 56 base grains to choose from.

Also, some of these sites don't have what I need...so I go to another one. So really it just depends. I really like the setup of NB and AHS websites, and you'll notice that AHS and BMW have a strong presence in these forums which means they have to run a tight ship or everyone will know about it. We've seen plenty of those threads which swing both ways :p

I guess I'm lucky, I have a LHBS five minutes from my house which is conviently on my way home from work. So far they have had everthing i've needed thus far, so I have not had to online shop for supplies yet. I guess that makes it a successful LHBS store.

If everybody talked a friend into starting to brew, supply cost would go down, and accessability would be much greater!!!!!!!!

I've had great service from Austin Homebrew Supply and Rebel Brewer. Between the two, they have pretty much everything I need.

Back