Favorite online Homebrew Supply store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you order from the most?

• Northern Brewer

• More Beer

• Austin Homebrew

• Williams Brewing

• Home Brew Mart

• I only buy locally

• Other

• Midwest Supply

Results are only viewable after voting.
Midwest. They have the fastest shipping ever. 3 days from order to my door. My orders normal ship out at 3 to 5 pm. its at my door the next morning 9 to 12.

AHS's selection is alright, but they always seem to be missing some odds and ends that I really need, and it kills the order.

Let me know what I need to carry and I will do my best to carry it.

Thanks for your support.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew

Just had my very first online order shipped out the other day, from Austin Homebrew. I'm only 15 minutes from Hoptech and another 20 minutes beyond that to More Beer in Concord, CA. So, between the two of them it's pretty easy to find what I need. Actually, the main reason I tried AHS was I wanted to try a canned kit, out of curiosity, and noticed they had them available.

I had to vote other... I use AHS and BMW. They both have always done me right.

I have ordered from others without issue (except MB... I have had issues with them), but the pricing of AHS and BMW is on par. B'sides... they visit here regularly and support us.

+1 for Rebel Brewer I have bought a lot of stuff from Midwest, but recently just stumbled upon a link to Rebel and will use them most from now on. Great folks, I can order from them and get it the next day plus they have great prices and selection.

I've tried almost all of the above and none consistently match morebeer. Every once and a while I'll still be tempted away from morebeer because of pricing, but usually morebeer delivers on price and quality. Not to mention they support the Brewing Network and have the easiest website to navigate. Great customer service too.

i always do price comparisons and morebeer or midwest usually win even with shipping. the last order i added BMW into the comparison and they were cheapest, and everything went great, very fast shipping. unless order $$$$ is more then a couple of dollars, ill go with BMW

I still haven't made my way to all grain, but for extract brewing morebeer or AHS are definitely the way to go.

Morebeer has the cheapest LME before you even talk about shipping, which is free if you order enough for 2 or 3 batches. AHS also has very cheap LME and low shipping which is good.

Another factor for me is the quality and ease of use of the websites. I know not everyone is a programming whiz but first impressions and visual aesthetics are almost as important as price to get new customers.

Lately I've tried to just order LME from the online guys and buy specialty grains, yeast, and random equipment I need from my LHBS because I want to support the guy.

I made my first order from BMW today, and I expect great things, given the response here. My first mailorder for brewing supplies was my dual keg setup from Midwest, and I regularly drool over their catalog. So I am pleased with both, though I have a LHBS that is second to none (except on pricing, where they blow!) just a few miles away: FH Steinbarts.

I try to stay local but my first choice for online ordering is Northen Brewer. They always seem to have what I need and there flat rate shipping is rather quick compared to others that offer flat rate shipping.

I typically shop local since I get a discount for being in the HB club. The guy that runs the place isn't real knowledgeable, but that's where HBT comes in. I get my info from you guys. I have ordered from AHS in the past and more recently from Midwest since I was looking for something special and they had it. I really want to try BMW since they are relatively close.

As a side note, Forrest and Ed trolling the threads and answering questions and just being a presence on the forum is a great thing, and they should get a try by all just for that reason. Thanks guys!

As a side note, Forrest and Ed trolling the threads and answering questions and just being a presence on the forum is a great thing, and they should get a try by all just for that reason. Thanks guys!

I agree- I definitely make an effort to spread the wealth to stores who support my favorite sources of knowledge. I hit up MoreBeer and NorthernBrewer the most because of their advertising on the BN -- but have definitely looked at places that have advertised/helped here too.

I try to stay local but my first choice for online ordering is Northen Brewer. They always seem to have what I need and there flat rate shipping is rather quick compared to others that offer flat rate shipping.

NB has the best 55# bulk DME price I can find. I am going to buy about 3 lbs of 3 different varieties of hops from hopsdirect, and a 55# bag of Extra Light DME from NB, and see how much I save. My LHBS is priced relatively fair, and I can get my specialty grains there, crushed for free even.

Does Brew Masters Warehouse sell bulk DME?

After dropping 3K to B3 I will try to look elsewhere proir to ordering from them. Every 3rd order was either screwed up or placed on backorder after their site stated the item was in stock. My last shipment took 10 weeks to ship. I also do not like the 7 day waiting period once in route from Cali to Ohio. They do have the best selection but their service and inventory control is horrible. I started looking at Northern Brewer first for all my needs. Two day transit time and so far I have had 5 orders shipped without a hitch.

Odd, Brewmasters Warehouse is not an option. IMHO, they are the FIRST option. Ed is great.

Every supplier has thier niche... whether it be certain ingredients, equipment, geographic location (ie shipping)...

FWIW... I recently organized a group buy from HopsDirect. We ordered 50 POUNDS of hops for the group, at a rate of $1.21 per ounce SHIPPED. They have excellent customer service.

Bulk grain can be had at a LHBS for under $1/pound, but if you cannot get it that way, BMW is a great option with fair prices, cheap flat rate shipping and FAST shipping.

I've been a loyal Northern Brewers Customer and I've had awesome service everytime. I get my shipments within 2 days, even with the $7.99 flat rate shipping. I've been very happy with their kit selection and equipment selection.

NB has the best 55# bulk DME price I can find. I am going to buy about 3 lbs of 3 different varieties of hops from hopsdirect, and a 55# bag of Extra Light DME from NB, and see how much I save. My LHBS is priced relatively fair, and I can get my specialty grains there, crushed for free even.

Does Brew Masters Warehouse sell bulk DME?

I am confused. Northern Brewer's 55 lb of DME to Tucson is $183.99 plus 33.05 shipping equals $3.95 per pound.

If you go with Breiss from Northern Brewer the price is $125.99 plus $31.55 shipping equals $3.15 per pound.

Our DME is Breiss. We ship 40 pounds to Tucson for $115.99 plus $7.99 shipping which equals $3.10 per pound.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply.

I vote "other" for Annapolis Home Brew" They will listen to my questions and explain things in ways that I can understand.

did you know that a type of non fermenting sugar is used to hold the cheese flavor powder on some snacks? Malto-dextro-al-Idunno stuff?

In the Portland OR area nobody beats Brew Brothers for price and service. The prices are as good if not better than the Group price buys I see talked about all the time. They are slowly adding to what they carry. For equipment Williams or NB, never again Morebeer or Midwest - bad experience with both of those places. Steinbarts has just about everything but the prices on equipment are out of this world so I don't bother. For example $195 for a March pump which the owner swore to me he would not sell because they don't work right and the next time I looked it was on his website - I guess for $195 he can handle selling them.

I am confused. Northern Brewer's 55 lb of DME to Tucson is $183.99 plus 33.05 shipping equals $3.95 per pound.

If you go with Breiss from Northern Brewer the price is $125.99 plus $31.55 shipping equals $3.15 per pound.

Our DME is Breiss. We ship 40 pounds to Tucson for $115.99 plus $7.99 shipping which equals $3.10 per pound.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply.

Oh here we go. The topic is not who is cheaper but who every one prefers or choses for online ordering.

I wasn't trying to argue price. He just said that he buys from NB because of price. People should shop where they want to. There is more than enough Homebrew sales to go around. I don't see other shops as competitors. We are all in it to keep the hobby going.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

For ingredients I am lucky to know a brewmaster. $30 for 55# of 2 row and $13-$19 per # for hops. I just got about 40# of carawheat for free today because the brewer wasn't going to use it.

Brewmasters Warehouse All the way for me!! They have the fastest shipping ever. It only took me a day and a half to receive my order. Now that is great service and on top of that there shipping price was only 6.99. Also it seems like most of there product prices are cheaper than other place that I have seen.

I buy from High Gravity, although not online. I'm about an hour away from Tulsa and I get there often enough that I can buy there and avoid shipping charges.

I wasn't trying to argue price. He just said that he buys from NB because of price. People should shop where they want to. There is more than enough Homebrew sales to go around. I don't see other shops as competitors. We are all in it to keep the hobby going.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

I was going to point this out earlier.

Anyways the only reason I posted this was for personal benefit. Its almost my birthday and I wanted everyone who insisted on buying me something to get me gift certificates to one of the top online home brew places. Since I have only ordered from a couple, i thought it would be nice to see which would be considered the best.

I also apologize to anyone who has been annoyed since this topic gets brought up a lot. Things change, bad experiences happen, I need to know these things.:D

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply.

If it is sold in 55# bags where is the extra 15# going?

If it is sold in 55# bags where is the extra 15# going?

Muntons DME (the real expensive one) is sold in 55 pound bags. Breiss is sold in 50 pound bags.

I have found that people would rather buy in smaller bulk especially if 40 pounds cost the same per pound as the 55. It also keeps it fresher unless you are using the whole 55 pounds at once.

We also have a real sturdy box we ship wine kits in that holds 8, 5 pound bags. People also don't like to have to measure out 5 pounds. It is convenient for everyone.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Okay, my bad, Briess does only sell 50# bags of DME, but my question is why do you only sell in 40# increments?

Where does the additional 10# go?

If I buy a 50+# bag of DME, I want the entire bag, not a bag that has been opened and re-weighed out to 40#.

Why don't you sell the entire 50# bag?

Or, do you?

Just order 50 total pounds and we can ship a bag. Just mention you want a bag in the comments section.

Just like grain. I tried selling full bags and they didn't sell. I lowered it to 40 pounds at the same price per pound and they sell very quickly now. I don't know why people prefer it that way. It just works for people I guess.

Forrest
Austinhomebrew.com

So your 50# bag will ship for the same cost of $3.10 a pound?

If so, I will happily revise my statement and order from you.

Its only a $2.50 overall cost difference,so its not that big of a deal, but just like most of us out there, especially during these tough times, I will save wherever possible.

I didn't see it on your site, but do you sell, and if not can you order, Organic Briess "Mltoferm 10001 Malt extract DME"?

So your 50# bag will ship for the same cost of $3.10 a pound?

If so, I will happily revise my statement and order from you.

Its only a $2.50 overall cost difference,so its not that big of a deal, but just like most of us out there, especially during these tough times, I will save wherever possible.

I didn't see it on your site, but do you sell, and if not can you order, Organic Briess "Mltoferm 10001 Malt extract DME"?

We have it is stock. Just hasn't made it to the web site yet. What we have is already bagged. It is more expensive than the regular DME. I will have it on the web shortly.

Forrest

Thanks for all the info Forrest, I like to throw my LHBS a bone and buy from them, but they want $175.99 + tax for 50# of Briess XLDME. I couldn't bring myself to pay more for that amount of DME in-town, when I could pay less for having it shipped and w/o tax because it is mail-order. I would be paying over $190. Next order, I'll give you guys at Austin Homebrew a try. It wont be too long, so I look forward to purchasing from ya.

BTW thanks for the quick responses!

I started ordering from Midwest when my son got me going in homebrewing, because he recommended them. I've gotten some odds & ends elsewhere, but in general the quality and service from Midwest is such that I've found no reason to switch.

Thanks for all the info Forrest, I like to throw my LHBS a bone and buy from them, but they want $175.99 + tax for 50# of Briess XLDME. I couldn't bring myself to pay more for that amount of DME in-town, when I could pay less for having it shipped and w/o tax because it is mail-order. I would be paying over $190. Next order, I'll give you guys at Austin Homebrew a try. It wont be too long, so I look forward to purchasing from ya.

BTW thanks for the quick responses!

Thanks. I am curious why he charges tax for DME. It is food. We don't charge tax on any ingredient, just hardware.

Forrest

Good to know...I've always bought other stuff so maybe he doesn't. I'll have to take a look at my receipts.

TBF I have only ever used Midwest. My research has shown them to be the cheapest, and I have always had no problems with them. Also, they are geograpically closer than most.

Had the cost issue been less important for me, I would have happily tried some of HBT's own vendors based on their excellent feedback.

I put Midwest, but it *is* my LHBS store, so I could have voted with that as easily. Technically Northern Brewing is roughly the same distance from my house, but parking is more difficult to find there...

i go with leeners because i buy a lot of canning, pickling and kraut making stuff and i usually throw in some brewing stuff too.

and NB

Back