Bragging a little bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Took me the whole winter but here it is... My brewery is right here and has 2 brews under the belt. I am using the chill plate for both the HERMS and chiller. Works pretty good - never seen that idea used so I am taking credit for it :rockin:

IMG_20130316_121602.jpg

IMG_20130427_134341.jpg

bragging camp is ok. trying to understand how to improve my efficiency and better calculate sparging water volume.

I've been fighting efficiency issues on my setup since I started with it back in November. I stopped fly sparging and did my last two by batch sparging and had a big jump. I also raised the mash temp to 170 before I began sparging.

I like the chill plate HERMS idea though. I may try that as my pilot light is out of control and occoasionally scorches the mash in a spot.

I know - didn't see anyone with that approach but it made a lot of sense to me :)

I think is working great too!

I've been fighting efficiency issues on my setup since I started with it back in November. I stopped fly sparging and did my last two by batch sparging and had a big jump. I also raised the mash temp to 170 before I began sparging.

Either I don't measure the gravity right or there sis something going on :)

On the last batch I did this weekend I even did a multi step

Mash In 6.5 gal
20 mins @ 100F AR
20 mins @ 122F PR
30 mins @ 149F BR
30 mins @ 158F AR
Mash out 170F 2.5gal stirred well
Batch sparged 168F 6.5 galons for 10-15 minutes
I stirred well ocasionally but I move/recirculate the wort during this process so you'd think I'd get most of the grain.

Using the heat exchange I move from each temp plateau to the next which is pretty good.

Anyhow the thing is I ended up with 13.5 gal pre-boil and 11 after boil the reading was 1.055 should have been 1.062

I crushed the gains at the grain shop with 0.7mm setting - next time I'd run it twice thru the crusher and increase the mashing times.

if the temps are right (maybe should calibrate my PID althou the dial thermometer shows a similar temp as the PID) and volume are right what is that I do wrong ? hm...

Latest posts

Back