Layer of foam on my RIS.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I made a batch of BB RIS and its been in secondary for about a month and a half. I planned to bulk age it until July when I get back home. I came home for a couple of days, and checked it and there is a thin layer of foam on the top. Ive never seen this on any of my other beers. I know the info is vague, and I cant supply pictures, just curious if anyone can tell me if this is ok, or should I be concerned. Thanks.

when I moved the carboy out from my closet, the foam broke up, and this was the result......

i know the picture is bad, but thats the best I could do. any help is greatly appreciated.

I took the picture with my phone, and the camera on it sucks bad. it looks like little "flakes" floating on the top. I took the air lock off to refill it with water, and there wasn't any funky smells. but the foam/flakes kinda got me concerned.

I think it will be fine. From what I can see of the picture, it just looks like a little foam.

If it smells alright and ultimately tastes alright, then no worries.

Honestly, even if it is an infection, there really isn't anything you can do about it anyway. Let it finish out, taste it before bottling. If it tastes good, run with it.

Gedvondur

Back