first time ever...yeast blew the top off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
with the news of our first grandchild on the way , and just in time for oktoberfest celebration. i brewed on the last weekend of March so we could have a beer in celebration of the birth ,expected late sept 2021. i save yeast , i had a jar of k97 saved from my last oktoberfest brew , so when it came to pitching time, i tossed it in. 24 hours passed and nothing. so , i tossed in a new pack of k97 ...yesterday morning it was barely a thin layer of foam on top..last night i came home and went to check on it . i smelled it way before i got down the stairs...i had a decent sized yeast mess. the fermonster never needed a blow-off tube before because the gallon and a half head space was usually plenty. this time all that yeast got busy and i had a yeast volcano . literally. so, i shoved a tube in it and it kept on chugging away . just thought id share that since i am usually the one telling new brewers to use a blow off the first 48 hrs...

Yikes! Congrats on the grandchild news, we have our first on the way also, ETA late August. Going to put her to work in the brewery as soon as she can walk. ;)

Back