Sugar- Any difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing a Belgian Abbey Treipel beer. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs "Belgian clear candi sugar". I believe this is nothing but pure sucrose. My LHBS sells it in 1 llb packaged at $5.00 a lb which means a $10 outlay. Can't I just subtitute grocery store table sugar at a fraction of the cost? Sucrose is Sucrose. Right?

Thanks for the input. I'm off to the grocery store to buy a couple of pounds od Domino granulated sugar.

If you read the whole thread there is a bit of a question if the Belgians invert the sugar first. If I were brewing with sugar I'd go ahead and invert it first, even if the disaccharides will eventually ferment out the monosaccharides of a fully inverted sugar will definitely ferment fuller and faster. If you want to essentially boost ABV without adding introducing cidery/winey flavors I would recommend inverting. If you are looking for a sugar flavor then it will probably make less difference.

Either way you're better off using grocery store sugar to make whatever you are going to be brewing with.

Back